New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

my engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 04:54 PM
Default my engine

i bought a engine for my car i think its a d15b but im not sure .
i own a 01 honda civic and i want to put this engine in my car .
this is the first time i have done a engine swap before so im not to sure on how
to do everything i wanted to know if i have to switch out both fuse boxes on my car with the that i got with the other
engine to get it to work or will i be able to just use what i have onmy car all ready i would be thankful if anybody can help

Old 03-28-2007, 06:33 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: my engine

Mkay, a couple of things come to mind immediately. One...do you know what you're doing at all? Two...do you know someone who does?

I hope that unless the D-series motor in your 01 civic is shot, you would not be replacing it with another d-series motor. There are too many things that can go south of the cheese to make a swap like that and gain very little for your car if you gain anything (like fewer miles, replacing a blown engine, better performence, better aesthetic quality, etc). If the motor you bought is a B-series (B16, B18, etc.), you may want to make sure that you find out if it will actually work in your car. Some of those motors may not work with your year/model. People on here con help you out with that part. They know far far more than me...

If you are switching a D-series to a D-series or B-series, the year and model of the engines is going to dictate which fuse boxes/wiring configurations you need to use. Make sure your wiring harness is correct because I assure you that you don't want to spend the next six months trying to figure out what the hell is wrong with your wiring. Post your year and model for others on here to look at and they can tell you if the engine you bought will work.

Make sure you figure out what series and model the engine you bought is. Make sure you know that it's not blown or excessively high-miles. Finding out the year as well may save you some of that effort too. Some of the older engines may not work as well in newer cars (same the other way around). Hatchback, coupe, sedan, EX, DX, LX, etc.

Doing an entire engine swap is not something I would take lightly personally. I would not swap my D-series in my car unless someone I know and trust was going to do the entire thing with me. I know I don't have the skills, tools, or facilities to do it on my own. Watch and help someone do a swap all the way through before you do yours, or else find somebody who dosen't mind doing it with you on your car.

If it dosent work out for you, don't sweat it, plenty of folks are looking for a good D-series to buy. There are plenty of things you can slap on a D series to boost your power, so before you swap, check that out. It's probably less expensive and not as risky for a first time swapper...

Good luck, and welcome to the forum.