New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

Neutral A Bad Thing?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 01:21 AM
Default RE: Neutral A Bad Thing?

do you guys rev match when you downshift? i allways do, but iv heard from some people that they just let the clutch out while slowing down. that would wear the cluth out faster.

Old 06-30-2006, 03:21 AM

Doing that destroys your synchro's, revmatching is a great practice to extend the life of your tranny... especially those damn synchro's.

Old 06-30-2006, 04:17 AM

lets clear up some confusion here

shifting into neutral and still rolling will NOT harm your gearbox in any way shape or form

if your are sitting at lights put it in neutral and have foot off clutch, this will make your clutch release bearing last a little longer, not doing this isnt going to really hurt your car though

keep it in gear and use the engine braking to help slow down, changing down a gear from the relevant speed to keep the engine braking effect up, ie you wont get as much engine braking in 5th gear at 30mph as you would in 2nd gear, so use the correct gear for speed your doing

it need trans oil for lub, and shift to N gear means the oil is pump away. Hence while still in rotation, the gear box rotate in low gear oil level condition, hence increase the gearbox wear and tear.
what a load of crap, the gearbox doesnt have an oil pump, the gears sit in the oil and get covered in it while gears are turning

Old 06-30-2006, 08:57 AM

Sorry if this is a stoopid question but how do you rev match when you downshift?

Thanks again guys for your help!

ORIGINAL: neon3kgt

do you guys rev match when you downshift? i allways do, but iv heard from some people that they just let the clutch out while slowing down. that would wear the cluth out faster.

Old 06-30-2006, 02:31 PM

If you've ever noticed when you're driving, your speed directly correlates with your RPMs in each gear. For instance, the stock 2nd gear on an EX tranny will take the car to 60mph (actually just before). So, if you were to be driving at 45 mph and decided to downshift into second, the last thing you want to do is pop the clutch in from a higher gear (at a lower RPM), let the RPM fall even further while you put your shifter into 2nd... and just let out the clutch.

If you've ever done this, right about here is where you kiss your steering wheel because your car got mad at you and stopped abruptly... right? Actually, you have what are called synchro's in the transmission. The job of the synchro's is to match engine speeds with the gear speed so that you don't blow up the transmission with a bad shift. Revmatching is simply doing the job of the synchro, matching engine speed with the gear speed (so at 45mph, about 5000rpms in 2nd gear) and taking the load off your synchro's. This also happens to allow for a much smoother ride as well. So learn how to rev match and smile... because you are no longer bashing your teeth into your steering wheel.

Old 06-30-2006, 03:07 PM

Thanks for the info SovXietday!

Old 06-30-2006, 05:56 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: weegaz22

ORIGINAL: Ricky Fai

The gearbox construction of a auto car is diff from manual one, it need trans oil for lub, and shift to N gear means the oil is pump away. Hence while still in rotation, the gear box rotate in low gear oil level condition, hence increase the gearbox wear and tear.
what a load of crap, the gearbox doesnt have an oil pump, the gears sit in the oil and get covered in it while gears are turning
Ricky was confused and thought ToRcHeD was talking about an automatic transmission.

Old 06-30-2006, 09:23 PM
HCF Member

Not blaming anyone, but i cant imagine someone shifting into neutral on an automatic
What the hell were they thinking....

Old 07-01-2006, 07:31 AM

^^^^ one of my freinds does it at stop lights, so he can act like he has a manual when his car roles back...he is one of the biggest ricers in denial i have ever met...

Old 07-01-2006, 11:18 PM
HCF Member

hehe ricer in denial, should be a meeting for all of them. " hi my name is ****** and i have too many stickers in my car" crowd hi *****.
Still cant beleive people would do that to cars. Wonder what idiot started that.

Quick Reply: Neutral A Bad Thing?