New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

Neutral A Bad Thing?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 04:12 PM
Default RE: Neutral A Bad Thing?

lol well I fortunatly have a manual car and therefore all this information has helped me a lot... I bought the car not knowing a single thing about driving stick but I've got used to it and - let me say - that matching rev's isn't the easiest thing to a newbie just learning to drive a standard car....

Old 07-15-2006, 08:33 PM
HCF Member

Yeah i never do it, i just shift into neutral and use the brakes.

Old 07-16-2006, 01:20 AM

hey - if it hasn't caused you too many problems I'm sure I'm okay with the easier way of handling my car... Neutral it is!

Old 07-16-2006, 03:49 AM
HCF Member

I'll put the car in neutral at a light (drive an auto). But only when its level so i don't have to have my foot on the brake.

Old 07-16-2006, 01:08 PM
HCF Member

When i had an automatic, I would put the car in park while waiting for a train to pass or something that would take a long time, that way you dont roll anywhere.

Old 07-16-2006, 07:08 PM

Lol - when I had an automatic I did the same thing sometimes... placed the car into park and left it there until the light turned green... But now I have a standard so neutral is the easiest way to go!

Old 07-17-2006, 04:14 PM

thank you for teaching me something new also.
ORIGINAL: SovXietday

If you've ever noticed when you're driving, your speed directly correlates with your RPMs in each gear. For instance, the stock 2nd gear on an EX tranny will take the car to 60mph (actually just before). So, if you were to be driving at 45 mph and decided to downshift into second, the last thing you want to do is pop the clutch in from a higher gear (at a lower RPM), let the RPM fall even further while you put your shifter into 2nd... and just let out the clutch.

If you've ever done this, right about here is where you kiss your steering wheel because your car got mad at you and stopped abruptly... right? Actually, you have what are called synchro's in the transmission. The job of the synchro's is to match engine speeds with the gear speed so that you don't blow up the transmission with a bad shift. Revmatching is simply doing the job of the synchro, matching engine speed with the gear speed (so at 45mph, about 5000rpms in 2nd gear) and taking the load off your synchro's. This also happens to allow for a much smoother ride as well. So learn how to rev match and smile... because you are no longer bashing your teeth into your steering wheel.

Old 07-17-2006, 05:09 PM

I rev match on my CBR but not in the car, I have had the rear end slide a little with out rev matching on the bike. I have actually never really rev matched in anything with 4 wheels.

Old 07-17-2006, 07:07 PM

ORIGINAL: rdss

I rev match on my CBR but not in the car, I have had the rear end slide a little with out rev matching on the bike. I have actually never really rev matched in anything with 4 wheels.
i revmatch on my bike as well, but mines is a v-twin with no slipper clutch, so i kinda have to unless i want to be backing into everycorner i come to lol, do it in the car occasionally

Old 07-17-2006, 07:54 PM
HCF Member

ya i usually try and not press my brakes..i usually downshift all the way to second then at the last minit put it in neutral and press the brakes, and i dont hold the clutch in at a stop light..no point, but ya..i try and touch the brakes as little as possible