New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

New to forum BIG BIG Problems!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 09:55 AM
Default New to forum BIG BIG Problems!

Hi I'm new to the forum. Bought a 99 Civic Si about a month ago. It had 110K miles, but in great condition. Had aftermarket CAE, upgraded wiring, and a sway bar. Good news is it is a dream to drive. Now the bad news, and its really bad. The engine seized. Apparently it was burning oil (lots of wet burnt oil in the tailpipe.). Long story short, I ran it dry and now all I get is one metallic click when I try to start the engine. I'm guessing that's the starter engaging but not being able to actually crank. So now I suppose I'm in the market for a used B16 engine. I'm not a wrench and I'm pretty overwhelmed by this. I would appreciate any feedback about what I should do and If I should replace the engine. If so, I don't know of a good source I can trust to buy a used engine from. I'll also need to find someone who I can hire to do the swap (I'm in San Antonio, Tx). any help from the forum would be greatly appreciated. I wonder if I'm setting some kind of record for a newbie getting their car this fouled up this quickly?

Old 08-31-2009, 10:07 AM
Chubby Chaser

damn that sucks... but ya have 2 choices pull the engine and take it to a machine shop and have them fully rebuild it or find a used engine and swap it out.

Old 08-31-2009, 01:58 PM
August 2010 ROTM

Wow, how did you run it dry? I mean I understand that you were burning oil, but checking your oil is common sense and should be done at least once or twice a week, even if you aren't burning oil... Hopefully you learned your lesson about the oil; it's a shame you had to learn the hard way... Oh by the way, what's an aftermarket "CAE"?

But welcome to the site, fellow EM1 owner! Hopefully we'll all be able to help you get the new engine and get it installed, with all the little bugs worked out. If I were you I would go with a B18C1 since it makes a little more power then the B16A2, and your tranny will work with it. Lets see some pics of the car!!

Old 08-31-2009, 08:18 PM
HCF Member

Wow thats harsh man, sad to hear about your SI. Those are somethings we should praise in this life haha. yeah if your going for a full rebuild/ used engine maybe consider price similarities towards the B18C1, who knows if mite be the same price to convert.