New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

New Guy in Georgia

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 06:27 PM
Default New Guy in Georgia

Hi guys,

First of all, my name is Noah, I'm 19 and I burn rubber anywhere from Athens to Atlanta. I'm new to Civics, well imports in general. A few days ago, I picked a a Red 1996 Civic 'EX' coupe with a VTEC and a 5-Speed. It's bone stock under the hood, in fact the only thing that isn't stock is the sound system ().

I am unsure what I'm going to do with it right now. I'd like to make a few upgrades right off the bat though, (short shift kit, cold air intake, better spark plugs, high flow fuel/oil filters, etc.)

I just want to improve the performance, gas mileage and smoothness of operation.

I'm just here to meet friends who have the same passion and mechanical aptitude. So hit me up if you're in my area and wanna roll sometime.

Thanks

Old 07-11-2010, 06:47 PM

Welcome to HCF.

I like your attitude. Just a few pointers... don't waste your money on better spark plugs (NGK V-power is all you need... just because iridiums cost more doesn't mean you'll make more power) or a high flow fuel filter. If your engine needed more fuel, it wouldn't be running right. Having more fuel just makes you run rich unless your engine takes in the adequate amount of extra air to mix with it (a lot more air, as in from a turbocharger or something else that major). Also, having a high flow fuel filter by itself won't increase fuel flow anyway, you'd need more stuff like a high flow fuel pump, injectors, and even possibly a fuel rail, depending on how much fuel pressure you need. Even then, most people who need the high fuel pressure don't upgrade the fuel filter... just replace with OEM. But like I said, you don't need more fuel than you already have and giving it more fuel won't do anything but make the engine run rich.

Last edited by trustdestruction; 07-11-2010 at 06:55 PM.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:54 PM

Thanks for the advice, exactly what I'm looking for. I'll save further technical questions for the correct thread.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:25 PM

Welcome to HCF!

*Waits for pictures*