New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

New Here!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 09:23 AM
Default New Here!

Hello, just wanted to introduce myself. I currently don't own a civic but I am in the process of looking for a new project car. I own a Mitsubishi Evolution X that is still very much stock. I don't want to go to crazy with that because of my fear in voiding the warranty. Plus the evo parts are very very expensive. I built most of my 240sx sr20det redtop for the cost a turbo back exhaust, air dam and bigger FMIC for my evo.

Any suggestions for a good starting civic platform? I like the look of 93 hatches. They are very light as well. Ideas?

Old 03-13-2010, 06:47 PM

EGs are a good base...especially the hatches...lightweight...What exactly do you plan on doing? N/A or boosted? and Welcome to the Forum...

Old 03-14-2010, 10:35 AM
HCF Member

yes welcome to the forum. and i agree with burnin- EGs are a good base. but can you please post pics of you other rides. especially the evo

Old 03-15-2010, 12:16 AM

Welcome to HCF

92-95 Hatch is a great platform to work with... it's light, handles well, is OBD1 so your engine and tuning options are generally better and are easier to do, and looks good too.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:59 AM
HCF Member

Welcome, dude....you know how rare and how long I been looking for a good 240sx. I'm so confuse right now either if I want to sell my 97 ek for a 240sx but damn they cost a lot, especially for the 93 one or older model.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:29 PM

Thanks for the welcome.

My current car (Evo X) is still bone stock. I am afraid to really get into it because the warranty expires if you do next to anything. I almost had issues when I put royal purple oil in it. It is rally red gsr with the sight and sound package. I already have a list of things I want to do with it but I am just carefully bidding my time.

My 240 was a 1990 and was being built for the sole purpose of drag and then eventually drifting. It was one of the easiest builds ever (excluding the wiring harness). 240's are so rare because they are one of the best rwd platforms. I used to see stock 240's in really bad shape being sold for close to $5000. Good luck find one. I sold mine to some 18 year old kid who probably destroyed all my work. lol.

As with my Honda build, I like the look of hatchbacks but would certainly take a coupe if the right one appeared. I want to boost it and eventually have it on nitrous. I am willing to take my time with the build (especially the nitrous part) but I want a platform that I won't need to alter major elements in the middle of the build. I am open to suggestions because its just seems that there are 300 types of available engines. thanks!

Old 03-18-2010, 09:45 AM
August 2010 ROTM

Welcome to the site! Lets see some pics of that Evo; they are amazing cars! An Evo or an STI is the next car I plan on purchasing, once I'm out of college and start paying back my student loans. The 92-95 hatches that everyone recommended to you are definitely very nice and very light cars, but I would look into 96-00's too, and not just the hatch. While I like the look of hatches better (even though I own a coupe,) coupe's are really nice too. However, if you plan on building and boosting it, I wouldn't get anything newer than a 2000. After that, they have engines that don't have much aftermarket support, and are much more difficult to tune.

Sounds like you have the right idea for your build, but if you do everything right and build the engine with a turbo, you won't need nitrous, unless you plan on running a huge turbo and then the nitrous may help getting the turbo spooled up.

By the way, while you're posting pics of the Evo, lets see some pics of your old 240! I love them too!

Last edited by jwmm04; 03-18-2010 at 09:50 AM.
Old 03-20-2010, 12:49 PM

I really need to get those pictures up one of these days.

I understand the philosophy around the usage of nitrous i just want to have the ability to install in on my car if the mood strikes me. I typically build pretty hardcore cars (no interior, no power steering, no a/c) so the nitrous angle kinda fits in.

I have been looking at S2000s. They are getting pretty cheap now a days. Plus it seems like a friendly platform to build off of. I guess I would just rather buy a car with an engine that won't need to be swapped out immediately. From my research, unless I get legit type-R or a 99-00 SI I will have to swap an engine or massively rebuild the stock motor (top and bottom plus add a vtec head).

Please correct me if I am wrong because I am edger to learn as much as possible but sadly it does seem that cars and engines are always up for debate. When I built my 240 there was only one engine that could go into it and you had the choice of a red top or black, with or without turbo. My evo comes stock with the best possible engine. Civics on the other hand are a completely different matter.