New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

New to repairs

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 02:58 PM
Default New to repairs

Hi,

My name is Zach. I have a 98 Civic DX four door sedan with manual transmission. I bought this car in 2004 but have done little beyond required maitenance. Honestly, I know little of car repair but would like to know more so hopefully I can save some money (also I enjoy repairing or fixing what I can).

Old 11-29-2010, 04:29 PM
HCF Member

Start with at least a Haynes Manual & a 80 piece Wrench set...you'll be able to do alot with that...nothing special...but enough to keep you on the road without worrying about a $140 bill for just replacing the a couple of brake cylinders.(brake cylinders are no more than $30).

Old 11-29-2010, 05:44 PM

Thanks for the info. I just bought the manual, just waiting for it to arrive in the mail. I posted on the forum related to mechanical problem(s) that my headlights and dash instrumentation lights dim whenever the brake pedal is depressed, I am hoping to find an answer and for this to be my first project (if it is not too complicated).

Old 11-30-2010, 07:33 PM

Where did you get the manual from and how much if you you dont mind me asking? I was thinking of getting one for my '93 Civic.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:03 AM

A new copy runs around $24 on Amazon and at Advance Auto, but a used copy can be bought at half that price on Amazon.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by naples10
Thanks for the info. I just bought the manual, just waiting for it to arrive in the mail. I posted on the forum related to mechanical problem(s) that my headlights and dash instrumentation lights dim whenever the brake pedal is depressed, I am hoping to find an answer and for this to be my first project (if it is not too complicated).
Welcome!

Not sure if someone's answered you question yet but I'll give it a shot. The dimming headlights could be a few things. The first thing that comes to my mind is possibly a bad ground wire somewhere. Usually not a big issue and can probably do without needing to fix it. The other 2 kinda go hand in hand, the alternator and the battery. If the alternator isn't producing the charge it needs to, the extra power you are using when applying the brakes(engine vacuum for brake booster and rear lights coming on) causes strain which ends up resulting in the dimmed lights. Also, if your battery is going bad, this can cause a similar result but not likely since if you're alternator is working well it should take the load. Plus you'd know if your battery is bad if starting the car becomes a problem..

Old 12-21-2010, 03:28 PM

Thanks civicexracer. I replaced the alternator and the battery and the problem is better, but still persistent. Can all the grounds be easily spotted?