New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

Newbie here,but not to Hondas

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 07:48 PM
HCF Member
Default Newbie here,but not to Hondas

I thought I'd do a proper intro here, as I'm also on HAF, and do my own work on my cars. I've also been helping my son on his 98 Civic. In fact right now we've got the engine and trans out of it, and the engine torn down (spun a bearing, #4 to be exact) to be rebuilt. It's going to the machine shop Friday afternoon. He's actually trying to get me to pick up a friend of his's 99 Civic with a blown motor in it. I have thought about getting it, but what I want to do is put my Toyota engine and trans (out of my Corolla clone Geo Prizm), as that car is very hard to get parts for (body wise). I've seen people doing K swaps, and the Toyota engine layout is very similar. I realize most here might not like the thought of cross breading the 2, but I do like the twin cam of the Toyota engine. From looking at the empty engine bay, it should fit right in there with no real issues other than making up some custom engine mounts, and maybe building some hybrid CV joints. It'll be running on an OBD I system, and using most if not all of the Toyota fuel injection system and wiring. My intention is to mainly use the car for winter use, and as a back up car for my wife.

Any thoughts??

Old 10-31-2017, 10:20 PM
HCF Member

Wow, 41 looks and no thoughts? Doesn't matter the guy sold the car to someone else. We got the engine over to the machinist Monday, as he had other stuff going on over the weekend (had to work Friday too). It's getting punched .020 over (to clean up the cylinders, and Phil's going to do the head while it's there (inspect the valves, and do a 3 angle cut on them, along with stem seals and inspection of the guides). The new crank, pistons, Eagle rods, and other bits and pieces are already here, waiting for assembly. Rob's working on cleaning the crap off the trans, as he wants it clean, in case he ever has to work on it again.

I'll just keep an eye out for a Toyota or another Geo to put the 4AFE into. Maybe 1 of those jelly bean shaped ones.

I should also mention that I'm a 6th gen Accord owner, who also has a 5th gen Accord too. Both are sedans and are 5 speed cars. I've actually got the 5th gen (97) up for sale, as I've been dumping money into my 99 Accord, since the PO of it didn't do crap to it while in his possession.
Right now it's had a full tune up, along with both timing belts replaced, front end completely rebuilt (including hub bearings), a new stainless steel Magnaflow cat and a stainless steel Magnaflow cat back exhaust system, along with having the fuel tank replaced due to rusted seams on the tank itself. And finally it's got 4 General winter tires from Tire rack on it, so it's set up for winter use and I shouldn't have to do much to it when it gets cold out.

Last edited by The Toecutter; 10-31-2017 at 10:23 PM.