New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

Semi new to honda... Any help?? please?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 04:20 PM
Default Semi new to honda... Any help?? please?

Wassup everyone. Just got a 98 civix ex coupe a few days ago. Never really been on the Honda Band wagon but always loved them.

Lets see... previous cars: 93 3000GT Base, 93 Prelude Si, 93 Nissan Maxima, 96 eclipse gs, 2002 Subaru WRX, now my pretty, green, fuel efficient, environment friendly Civic.

The prelude was one of my first cars and I can barely recall all of the research I did on it. Can you guys help me?

Theft is a major concer in my area so I would really like the car stock looking. I basically sold my Subaru because of financial reasons and have excess funds sitting around. I was just planning on going the route I went with the prelude. I had short ram, test pipe, custom 2.25 inch piping with exhaust, 4-2-1 headers.

To keep it on more of the stock look side, i was thinking of just getting a short ram and cant really think of anything else. Its just a little frustrating trying to get the cr to accelerate on the high way sometimes.

Also, I dont wanna get flamed for this but I wanted to get the Tornado Air Fuel thing. This is very controversial and almost everyone tells me its useless. The thing is that i use to commute in the prelude about 120 miles a day. I use to get lets just say 24-25 MPG (miles driven/gallons filled up) ALL highway. I figured I give the Tornado a try since it wasn't incredibly expensive. it didnt feel like there was a power gain but I consistently got about 25-26.5 MPG.

My other story is with the 93 Maxima GXE. i had a crack somewhere on the stock intake system and the engine would make a ticking sound when I drove it. When I used the silicone to cover up the crack, it would get better for a lil while but eventually made the sound again. Bought the Tornado and then car got a really big jump in MPG and the ticking never came back.

My only conclusion's to the Tornado was that either my cars were a little messed up from the get-go and it was coincidence that the Tornado helped, OR maybe the Tornado actually works. I was thinkg about going to Autozone and picking it up and trying it out for a few weeks and log the MPG.

have any of you had experience with the Tornado? PLEASE DON'T FLAME ME FOR THIS!!!!! It wasn't all in my head!!! I'm a dork. I always check my MPG when I fill up.... I Don't know why!!!!

Oh yeah, don't forget to help me out with some suggestions for the civics performance parts. I dont want a exhaust system. Just whatever mods possible to make the car a little peppier.

Wow... Long Post.

Old 09-13-2005, 04:27 PM
Default RE: Semi new to honda... Any help?? please?

you could try getting a spoon chip for the computer...thats a start...or a whole new ECU thats pre-programmed...

Old 09-13-2005, 07:50 PM
HCF Member

wecome to the forum..i see you have alot of experience of different cars, good to have you aboard, you dont have to worried about getting flamed that much ..if you look around at the posts, you will see that there is hardly any..if not nun..flaming and all the stupied stuff on this forum..welcome

Old 09-13-2005, 11:30 PM

Welcome to the forum!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-14-2005, 06:43 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

Welcome aboard!!

Old 09-14-2005, 08:57 AM
HCF Member

Welcome to the forum! The route you went in the Prelude sounds like a good start. I'm sure you'll get some more suggestions from more seasoned tuners. Check out the "Header, Intake, Exhaust" section and there is more extensive mod discussion in other sections surrounding. Good luck!

Old 09-14-2005, 10:47 AM

i can answer your quest about the tornado. first of all welcom.

now the tornado is not for every car. i had one on my wrecked hyundai accent. since it it a small car with small everything. the tornado cloged the intake and i ended up with worse gas milage. honestly the tornado is really a pos. and the difference in gas milage will only affect big trucks like a ford f530 where they are desperate for better gas milage. but after they get it there mind tells them its in there and they have a lighter foot and do save gas because of there own mind set. so in conclusion the tornado is in your head. make it work without buying it.

Old 09-14-2005, 10:59 AM

[sm=welcomesign.gif] to HCF. [sm=groupwave.gif][sm=groupwave.gif][sm=groupwave.gif]

Instead of going with a "Tornado" (which most say it's useless), maybe try a "throttle body spacer". It won't give you a lot of extra gas mileage, but at least more than a tornado (and around the same cost).

Old 09-14-2005, 11:04 AM
HCF Member

Welcome to the forum! Look into an after market air intake, itll sound good and give ya better gas mileage and make your car peppier. Now, being pedal happy wont give you better gas mileage.

Old 09-15-2005, 12:10 AM

Sorry for that stupid question but what is a "throttle body spacer".?

Quick Reply: Semi new to honda... Any help?? please?