New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

Soon to be Civic owner

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 01:13 PM
Default Soon to be Civic owner

Hey guys, my name is Christian Im 18 and looking to get my first civic. I had a 97 saturn and blew the head gasket on it it would have cost more to fix then it was worth so I sold it. I have been rebuilding engines with my dad since I was little kid for our dune buggys we first started doing VWs and built several one with a turbo ha he even let do one myself under his watchful eye of course, then we build a suburu with a turbo, and then my favorite a nissan 300z motor turbo our fastest car and a 454 big block chevy for our jet boat. That was a fun build too. Im looking to get a hatchback anywhere from 92 to 99 but I don't know much about these cars or motors. Its gonna be a daily driver but I want lower it do an exhast and intake. What recommendations would you guys give to make this a reliable daily driver but still have a lil extra power? And is there anything thing I should watch out for when buying one? Thanks for reading and anything information is very much appreciated

Old 04-18-2011, 01:24 AM

There are 2 generations of civics spanning the years you have provided. They are the 5th generation (92-95) (EG chassis) and 6th generation (96-00) (EK chassis). 96-98 and 99-00 civics have slightly different front bumpers/headlights (and as a result hood/fenders also) from each other but that is mainly the only major difference.

The 96-00 civic hatchbacks don't come with a VTEC engine, and the best you can get is a DX model with the D16Y7 106HP engine; the CX also has this engine. The 92-95 civic hatchback however was available in the Si model which came with a 125HP D16Z6 VTEC engine, but it is much more rare of a vehicle and is older. It being 2011, I would recommend trying to get a 96-00 civic, 99-00 preferably. Either way, you won't be able to squeeze much power while keeping its extreme reliability and ease of maintenance. Intake/Header/Exhaust is the best you could do with those requirements and you might be able to gain 20BHP at best from those modifications. A supercharger would bring you up more, around 160WHP if I remember correctly, but it won't be as reliable and easy to maintain, not to mention to cost of performing these mods and that you'll need to do I/H/E also. Turbocharging it could bring you to 200WHP safely with an engine in good condition but it is expensive and it may or may not be reliable. It certainly won't be anywhere as close to maintain either.

I'm not trying to turn you away from a Civic (obviously... look at the forum name), but just remember that you aren't going to get much power out of the ones you are looking at without an engine swap, turbo, or supercharger.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:09 PM

Ya I know that its two different generations and im not trying to really get a whole lot of power out of it just the deep sound. I plan on lowering it doing a body kit wheels just making it look good non ricer of course but is there anything I should look for with the motor because I really don't want to get one and have any big motor issues

Old 04-18-2011, 07:12 PM

Just make sure it's not leaking oil and if it is, figure out where. You don't want to deal with main seals.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:16 PM

Alright sounds good thanks for the help trust ill post up once I get a car can't wait

Old 04-18-2011, 07:19 PM

You should also ask about the timing belt. They should be replaced every 105k miles or 6 (I think it's 6...) years. See when it was replaced last. Don't let that stop you from buying it though... just make sure you change it if it needs it.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:17 PM

Ugh still looking for a civic seen acouple but need more money anybody have any job suggestions for a 18 year old. I love to work on cars especially engines