New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

soon to be Honda civic owner

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 06:52 PM
Default soon to be Honda civic owner

So for the last several months I have been looking for a reliable daily driver for my 45 mile commute. Today I happened upon a 98' 4dr civic ex at my local towing service. I asked if it was for sale an sure enough it was and was headed for the dump in the near future. The front right quarter is smashed up along with the front right control arms. The thing runs great with only 142k and a solid 5 speed manual with no frame damage. This thing smells like crap on the inside and looks it on the outside. I made a few calls on it and was told to jump on if for only $300 with it's clean title and good running motor. I ran a car fax and everything looked good so I told the guy I would take it. He will be towing it to my local shop to have the control arms repaired so the thing is drivable. I plan to work on this thing on the cheap and would appreciate any advice as I'm a first time Honda owner. I will take pics of the progress as available. I plan to get as much parts as possible used from a salvage yard or online. I have already located a used top arm for $35 a lower one for $45. Looks like a new aftermarket front fender will run $65 and front bumper $70 and the right rear tail light used is $40. My main goal is a reliable good gas mileage driver that I can put many miles on. What do I need to know and what should be my main mechanical worries?

Thanks
Tim