HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   New Member Introductions (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/new-member-introductions-4/)
-   -   yet another new guy (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/new-member-introductions-4/yet-another-new-guy-10060/)

b1pig 09-11-2005 07:37 AM

yet another new guy

Hello, all!

I had to search to find a decent enough forum to join. My wife had me looking for a couple of weeks to find her a "new" car to drive to work. I bought a '94 Civic Coupe from a coworker... debadged, but I'm sure it's an EX.... Has a VTEC engine (SOHC), 5spd, short throw shifter, adj cam timing gear, MSD ign, header... lotsa little goodies here and there. Car just needs some cleaning up. This will be my first "real" attempt at fooling with a 'tuner car'. I've had a '98 Corolla and a '93 Metro (cough) that we just drove around and didn't fool with, but I'll be tinkering with this one a bit.

Lemme see if I can recall some details on the car. Some terms will elude me, though. :D
The car had a turbo installed, but was removed before the engine was rebuilt. There is an internal block brace for the cylinder sleeves. (?) Has an Apex fuel management computer and a turbo timer installed. Cat was removed due to undercarriage damage (car was lowered, but has OEM coils on it now). Straight from header to OEM style muffler.

The only things that I have found issue with are minor in my view so far. I need a timing cover for this engine, since it will see dirt roads from time to time. If ya got one, lemme know. The short throw shifter is sweet... but there seems to be a lot of slop laterally. Maybe I'll find a worn bushing (or is this a cable shifter?) in the linkage. There is a Haynes manual on the floor of the car, but I'm at work... and I thirst for knowledge. ;)

Just FYI... while terms may elude my current knowledge, I have plenty of general mech knowledge. I have rebuilt a couple of engines and trannies, currently own a 2004 Tahoe (K&N FIPK and flowmaster), a lifted/modified 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee, and a lifted/modified 1990 Geo Tracker 4wd. I just rebuilt the engine in the Tracker with a Calmini cam and header. I am completedly new to the Civic scene. This little car is busting up an all-SUV family, so it has a lot to live up to. If any of ya have any tips for me on this new ride... send it. I'll be on here doing lots of searches.

Chimera02EX 09-11-2005 08:38 AM

RE: yet another new guy

Welcome to the forum!!!! I'm not sure what state you are in but most states with emission standards that car will not pass without a cat, unless thats not a worry of yours. Can't really help with the shifter but good luck and have fun!!

Street Sniper 09-11-2005 11:54 AM

Sweet, Welcome ot the forum, man. You found the right one.

Sounds like a gem that you have there. Most people with adjustable cam gears leave the cover off so you can see it, but you are right, I would cover it too. Junkyard-2 bucks.

They make poly bushing kits for your shifter for cheap and it will clean it up a bit, but I wouldn't expect it to feel like a Ripper or anything.

It also sounds like you are already set-up to go back turbo. Got any plans to do that? Or you could just go bulletproof naturally aspirated. You wanna get rid of your fuel managment? I need it.

Check out the engine code. It is on a little flat spot on the block just to the left of your header. It should say D16Z6, but with all of the other work, you may have inherited a swap. Go check it out and let us know.

b1pig 09-11-2005 01:12 PM

I'll look at the engine code when I get home in a couple of hours.

The guy I bought it from did a little racing with it... I think it was mostly at the drag strip near here. While I never got to ride in it before he rebuilt it, I have two other coworkers that did. Way before I ever bought the car, it was known to be a fast car. I did ask him if the engine was a swap or if it was original. i didnt realize it was a VTEC engine until late last night when I got it home. He told me it was the original engine.

The wife wanted a small semi-econimcal car to drive to work. I told her about this car 2 months ago, but she wasn't interested. I wasn't even aware some of the goodies were still in the car... and I'm just scratching the surface.. Fluidyne radiator.. there's more to it. For the sake of staying away from Premium fuel, I'm planning to keep it "all natural".

BTW.. In another forum, there were some comments on the VTEC engines not being reliable. That was in complete contradiction to what I have heard about the engines...

ngoti 8tor 09-11-2005 01:58 PM

[sm=welcomesign.gif] to HCF. [sm=groupwave.gif][sm=groupwave.gif][sm=groupwave.gif]

z6 FoRiLLa 09-11-2005 05:25 PM

Welcome, pics of the 94' coupe??

b1pig 09-11-2005 06:25 PM

I checked it. It's a D16Z6. It's kinda rough looking. The car was in Arizona for several years, and the paint is faded/oxidized heavily in the back. It'll have a pic or two up tonite or tomorrow evening.

b1pig 09-11-2005 07:34 PM

It looks better in the pics, since I'm showing the best side. The worst of the paint is on the back deck and roof.

This is the link to my MSN page... this BB doesn't like the links to MSN.. [&:]
LINKY

mill$civic 09-12-2005 07:27 PM

welcome to the forum..looks like you got a good history on cars

Forty04 09-13-2005 07:03 AM

Niiiice ride bro! Welcome to the forum!