HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/nitrous-super-chargers-turbos-13/)
-   -   Anyone using CAI's for charge piping? (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/nitrous-super-chargers-turbos-13/anyone-using-cais-charge-piping-16912/)

JDMracer00 02-12-2006 01:09 PM

Anyone using CAI's for charge piping?

I was thinking the other day about buying a cheap eBay CAI and JB Welding the BOV flange on it. Then after the CAI, using some 2.5" radiator-like hose stuff to go to the IC and from the IC to the turbo itself. This way it's really cheap, it works great, and still looks awesome under the hood. You wouldn't see any of the piping other than the CAI which would like nice. I dunno...anyone doing this?

95 Civic B16A 02-12-2006 01:28 PM

RE: Anyone using CAI's for charge piping?

Show me a picture! So i can tell more!

Nail I3unny 02-12-2006 01:30 PM

if you can figure out how to get the piping from the intercooler to the CAI it wills ave $$

Marty 02-12-2006 01:49 PM

I have seen it done a number of times, not a bad idea to save money

JDMracer00 02-12-2006 01:57 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/99-00...37595038QQrdZ1
That's the one I was looking at. It's a 3"...is that to big? I just need to know if JB Weld would hold the BOV flange on really good and if some 2"-2.5" radiator type hose would be good to use after that to route it to the IC and turbo. I mean I think it would look great under the hood and I don't see why it wouldn't perform well....just tell me what you guys think.

JDMracer00 02-12-2006 04:33 PM

well...? lol

neon3kgt 02-12-2006 05:38 PM

seems like it would work. iv seen boost pipes that were plastic, rubber, aluminum. the only problem is that at high boost it might fly off easily.

finalimpact 02-12-2006 05:43 PM

i have used cai pipes before although i recomend finding the smallest diameter pipe possible so you dont have to buy transition couplings. personally i think a cai makes for better looking charge piping under the hood for far less money. as far as radiator hoses go to your local auto parts place and take a look at the dodge cummins radiator hoses. hell they might even let you look through the hoses to find the right size.

JDMracer00 02-12-2006 05:43 PM

Im gonna make sure I have them together really well. Is 3" to big for that top part though?

95 Civic B16A 02-12-2006 06:11 PM

Dude there is only 3 mins left on it! Are u go-n to use it on a turbo? Any way go ahead and try it!

95 Civic B16A 02-12-2006 06:13 PM

3" Don't think it would be to big!

Pete 02-12-2006 06:15 PM

ORIGINAL: JDMracer00

I just need to know if JB Weld would hold the BOV flange on really good

95 Civic B16A 02-12-2006 07:37 PM

So did you bid on it?

JDMracer00 02-12-2006 09:11 PM

Damn, nuh uh man. I wasn't home to bid on it. Im sure they have another up now. So 3" isn't to big for sure? And do they make 3" radiator hose? I looked at Advanced Auto Parts and they didn't have any hoses big enough that weren't precut for other cars. Im going to check at Napa and see what they have. Think the radiator hose will work good? It's used on stock GST's...

95 Civic B16A 02-12-2006 09:20 PM

Dude it might! You will probaly just have to take your chances!

JDMracer00 02-12-2006 09:28 PM

****, I think I will. I mean even if I don't use radiator hose...I'll still have a huge part of the charge piping out of the way.

Nail I3unny 02-13-2006 02:59 PM

personally i think getting a CAI for charge piping would be a waste of money. sure if you already have a CAI its worth it...but its prolly cheaper to get 3 ft of mandrel bent piping at various angles than to get a namebrand CAI.

JDMracer00 02-13-2006 06:37 PM

Im not talking about a name brand CAI. Im talking about one of those cheap ones off of eBay. The one Im talking about is only 30 bucks shipped. I don't think I'll find some prebent charge piping that is that long and that's bent that perfect and clean for my car for under that lol. I've talked to a few people lately and a few of them have done this and said it worked great.

ef4life 02-13-2006 06:54 PM

find someone to weld the flange on instead of using jb weld, things tend to break at the worst possible time, so welding that would be one less thing to worry about

Nail I3unny 02-13-2006 06:59 PM

http://search.ebay.com/mandrel-bend_...ageNameZRC0024

http://search.ebay.com/mandrel-pipin...ageNameZRC0023

JDMracer00 02-13-2006 07:29 PM

Those are priced pretty good but the CAI still comes with more piping and it's already set up for my car and comes with clamps and hey, I'll have an extra filter sitting around as well. Those bends aren't much cheaper than the CAI and I'll get more piping and it's already bent for my car. And I did plan on having the flange welded on now. There's welding shop right next to my g/f's house that I might can get to do that for free since it's so small or a job. Im just going to buy an aluminum flange since the CAI is aluminum.

riceburner700 02-13-2006 08:45 PM

3 inch is probably gonna be to big, try to get something around 2-2.25in

JDMracer00 02-13-2006 08:59 PM

I don't understand how it can be to big. Im not trying to argue b/c Im a newb w/ boost but I just don't understand. Especially if the rest of the piping will be smaller in diameter. Seems like it would be all compacked through the whole system unstil it got to the CAI part and then it could just open up and flow freely. Does it cause lag or something...? That's the only 1 piece CAI for my car on eBay for that price. It's nice too...but if 3"s is to big then please explain why. Thanks

sbowers 02-13-2006 10:40 PM

compressed air isnt as compressed in 3 inch piping

Pete 02-13-2006 10:52 PM

my bov is JB Welded and its on there real good. Whoever did it did a damn good job, i got my kit used........

riceburner700 02-14-2006 12:06 AM

yeah you "could go with 3 inch" but you probably will have a lot of top end and not a whole lot of bottom end....

i mean top pro 4cylinders have like 3.5 inch and those things are putting down 1400+hp

JDMracer00 02-15-2006 12:21 AM

I bought it. Im just waiting now. And I looked at my old intake tonight that I also got from eBay and Im sure it's thick enough to actually weld the flange too. It's a little thicker than a nickel. And the whole charge piping set up won't be 3". Only that part of it will be which is right before it enters the TB. The rest of it will be 2.5". I also have a 42/48 T3 which isn't that big so top end is good. I should still get some good torque just because it's kind of a smaller turbo. Thanks for all of your input though guys...