HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/nitrous-super-chargers-turbos-13/)
-   -   beginning a turbo build! Suggestions? (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/nitrous-super-chargers-turbos-13/beginning-turbo-build-suggestions-45502/)

WhiteCivic98 05-31-2007 08:26 PM

beginning a turbo build! Suggestions?

hey guys, I wanna boost my civic. here's what i'm working with:
D15B engine
D16Y8 Intake Manifold, Fuel Rail & Injectors, and the Y8 ECU
NOZ FPR
I'm also running the automatic transmission from a D16Y8 and no i dont wanna hear about how it sux and that i should swap it out. Its out of the question for personal reasons. Anywho :)
Its all running rich right now actually but thanks to the VAFC it can reach redline (long story)

I have a CX exhuast manifold i was gonna use. I dont wanna break landspeed records. I want around 170 to 180 whp which i figure aint that bad since the engine is 130 crank hp and 180 whp would mean 200 crank hp. (i figure 20% is a nice even figure) prolly boosting max at 7 or 8 psi. I dont wanna break my rods. Any ideas? Remember its OBD2... Also, I had some friends telling me about running a Crane or MSD ignition so I can control timing for boosting purposes. What do you guys think?

My setup as I see it thus far would be:
CX manifold
TD04 or T25 turbo (i'm on the market for one)
Ebay Intercooler and Piping
FMU (researching different brands right now)
Crane Igntion (maybe i dont know yet tho)

Would I be ok with stock injectors?
Any Ideas?

I know I'm asking alot of questions, but everyone here seems so knowledgeable and i just wanna grasp at the opportunity to learn from everyone's success and mistakes. Thanks again!

MY99SI 05-31-2007 11:42 PM

RE: beginning a turbo build! Suggestions?

no you have to get bigger injectors

the pressure you plan on doing should be fine, the biggest thing is the tune with out a tune it wont run or it will blow up. thats to the point.

WhiteCivic98 06-01-2007 08:23 AM

i've noticed that tuning will make or break a vehicle. I wont be able to chip the ECU but will the ignition that i plan to run be good?

riceburner700 06-01-2007 09:10 AM

if you cant chip an obd1 ecu your engine isnt gonna last long and i wouldn't go turbo. A vafc is a little better than not running any managment. there isnt anybody who does tuning in your area?

Forty04 06-01-2007 09:32 AM

ORIGINAL: WhiteCivic98

i've noticed that tuning will make or break a vehicle. I wont be able to chip the ECU but will the ignition that i plan to run be good?
Seriously, don't go F/I

Are you saying that you personally can't do it? Because there plenty of places you can send your ecu to get chipped

Street Sniper 06-01-2007 08:32 PM

There are thousands of cars out there boosted without chipped/tuned ecu's. It is the best, safest and most reliable way to make power, but it's not the only way to skin the horsepower cat. Stock injectors and an fmu is ok for low levels of boost especially if you can retard the timing with one of the units you are talking about.

I don't mean to step on toes because I am in the tuning camp too, but I went a year at 7psi with an fmu.

SovXietday 06-01-2007 09:42 PM

He can't chip it if he's using an auto tranny.

Forty04 06-04-2007 04:26 AM

Sniper, I agree that it can be done.. The reason I preach the the tuned ecu game is that most of these people are boosting their daily drivers. When that is the case, you can't afford to run the risk of bandaids..

but seriously, what the **** do I know? I did it the "right way" and I threw a rod. Seems like more and more guys with half assed setups had better luck than me..

SovXietday 06-04-2007 05:02 PM

ORIGINAL: Forty04

Sniper, I agree that it can be done.. The reason I preach the the tuned ecu game is that most of these people are boosting their daily drivers. When that is the case, you can't afford to run the risk of bandaids..

but seriously, what the **** do I know? I did it the "right way" and I threw a rod. Seems like more and more guys with half assed setups had better luck than me..
Unfortunately Forty a bad tune will kill a car quicker than a hack job FMU setup. https://www.hondacivicforum.com/image/s5.gif You don't happen to have that Cromee map do you? I'd like to get my hands on it if at all possible, I'm curious if he pulled any timing on high load low RPM as I think that was the source of your detonation and consequently the chucked rod.

Forty04 06-05-2007 03:59 AM

pm'ed