Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

Building a turbo kit.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 03:38 PM
Default Building a turbo kit.

Ok so i have decided to build a turbo kit, and i have looked over the FAQ.Now my question is:

What should i get first? I dont have enough money in one lump sum to just but everything i need at once, so what parts can i get that will help me get started on this project, and what do i get first?

1 -Turbo
2 - Manifold
3 - Intercooler
4 - Charge Piping
5 - Couplers and Clamps
6 - Air Filter
7 - Wastegate
8 - Blow Off Valve
9 - Oil Line Kit w/ Fittings
10 - Tapped Oil Pan
11 - Injectors – Higher Flow
12 - Downpipe w/ Flexpipe and High Flow Cat
13 - O2 bung and plug
14 - Dumptube
15 - Vacuum Lines w/ Vacuum T Fittings
16 - Gauges
17 - Gauge Pod
18 - Chipped ECU w/ engine Management w/Tune
19 - Synthetic Oil, Higher Octane Fuel
20 - Spark plugs (one step colder)
21 - Miscellaneous Stuff

Thats the list quoted from Forty04.

What i want to do is to buy all of those items eventually and complete a turbo kit, but what can i start with that will help my cars performance, and that will get me started on building a turbo.

Old 08-15-2007, 04:12 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Building a turbo kit.

i would make sure you have enough money to buy a quality product for each of those categories to begin with... my first buys for my turbo were my fuel pressure boost and oilpressure gauges and i installed them while i waited for my other parts to come in...i would put togather a wish list of all you want and make sure it all lines up and meets to horsepower needs...once this is done order each part wen you get the dough dosent really matter in what order just make sure you get quality products please good luck

Old 08-15-2007, 11:08 PM
HCF Member

I have to second that. Just please make sure you get a good quality turbo, your intercooler you can skimp on, you charge pipes can be less than perfect, most blow off valves get the job done, pretty much any cast manifold will seve its purpose but DO NOT skimp out on your turbo. Obviously the better quality parts you buy thebetter life will be but there are a few ways to cut smallcorners other than your turbo.

Old 08-16-2007, 04:01 PM
HCF Member

buy your turbo first, it will be the basis around all of your other buys, then buy your manifold / downpipe then buy your wastegate, then buy your dumptube for the wastegate, then go with whatever you want because the rest will pretty much go universal with those parts

do a lot of research, and dont be a cheap ***, youll regret it if you do

good luck

only thing that you can install before you boost is your gauges / vacuum manifold and whatnot, wont boost performance but will make you feel special cuz your car will look faster when people drive by you and see a boost gauge lol

Old 08-16-2007, 06:39 PM

Okay that helped alot and i appricate the responses, but one last thing..Is my car going to be drivable if i just buy the turbo, and then say a week later the manifold and downpipe?Or am i going to have to park it until im finished with everything.

Old 08-16-2007, 06:48 PM
HCF Member

Your not going to be installing these parts one piece at a time so just buy what you can until you have verything you need then install it all at once so you dont have any down time.

Old 08-17-2007, 11:07 PM
HCF Member

your going ot have about 2-3k sitting in a garage or bedroom just to look at, then when you buy that last part you install it all at once and get it tuned

then you can drive your new monster all over the town and stomp stangs and stuff

only thing you can install like i said is your vac mani, and your gauges, and an exhaust if you dont have one yet,

its a bitch looking at all the parts, i have 2.5k sitting in a bunch of boxes and i still need my piping / ecu

Old 08-19-2007, 02:50 PM
HCF Member

This is what I had to look at all winter until it went on my car. Theres a few things missing and the intercooler was already mounted but you getthe idea.
Name:  IMG_1196.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  133.8 KB