Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

d16Z6 turbo

Old 11-18-2004, 11:16 PM
Cat Fuсker
Default d16Z6 turbo

Well guys, I am planning on going turbo on my stock d16z6 (pushing 108K). My question is really how much boost can the stock internals handle? I am planning on doing a remote (probably after-cat) turbocharger. And another question would be whether I need big injectors, high volume fule pump, etc., if I'm not pushing much boost? What would you recommend? It's a tight-budget project that I'll tackle very soon.

Old 11-19-2004, 01:22 AM
Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Old 11-19-2004, 08:38 AM
Cat Fuсker
Default RE: d16Z6 turbo

ORIGINAL: but why after cat??
Well I'm trying to hide it for one thing, and I already invested in a header(yesterday), and to go N/A with this setup I'll just have to put a short piece of pipe in place of it and be done in less than 30 minutes. Plus there will be less heat in the engine bay.

Old 11-19-2004, 05:49 PM
HCF Member

if you are trying to hide it, that wont help you. the cops have mirrors that they check under your car with for a cat.

Old 11-19-2004, 09:42 PM
Cat Fuсker

The cat will still be there, and it's not the issue of cops. Trying to hide it from my friends who like to look under the hood before going at it:-D

Old 11-21-2004, 09:35 AM

and to go N/A with this setup I'll just have to put a short piece of pipe in place of it and be done in less than 30 minutes.
Surely with this setup you will have to change your ECU as well? every time you want to change between N/A and boosted?

Old 11-21-2004, 09:51 AM

you dont sound like a guy i would want to be a friend with if you wanna make them think they are racin a n/a car and then you secretly have a turbo in. better not be racin for $$$$ if ur gonna pull somethin like that

Old 11-21-2004, 07:33 PM
Cat Fuсker

Hopefully that will not be the case. I'm still unsure about ECU stuff

Old 11-21-2004, 07:37 PM
Cat Fuсker

ORIGINAL: green98lxsedan

you dont sound like a guy i would want to be a friend with if you wanna make them think they are racin a n/a car and then you secretly have a turbo in. better not be racin for $$$$ if ur gonna pull somethin like that
Well I'm not gonna be the first one to pull stuff like that. We have a guy running a supercharged V-8 in the back of a beat up Dodge Caravan...with stock engine still under the hood...it's kind of a social norm where I live :-D

Old 11-21-2004, 08:59 PM

Well first of all, and after-cat turbo is a unique idea, but you should take a few things into consideration:

1) How in the world would you run the piping to your intercooler and filter? Those pipes are thick (much thiker than the exhaust pipes)

2) CAT produces a lot of backpressure, therefore restricting the airflow. I don't think you'll get enough air in the turbine to produce desired results.

I suggest to sell your header and go for a standard turbo setup. Your friends will probably hear your turbo spooling and blow off. Another thing is that there is no way around plumbing. When you pop the hood, your friends will see the pipes going from the turbo (the intake pipe will be much bigger than the OEM one. Another issue is the intercooler (you may get away without one if you don't run above 6psi, but I don't think it's a very good idea. Also, if you got a lowered car, you could damage the turbine if you hit a pothole or something. Therefore, if anything, try putting a turbo somewhere before the cat

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: d16Z6 turbo