Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

Engine Internal Upgrades [For Turboing]

Old 09-03-2006, 08:07 PM
HCF Member
Default Engine Internal Upgrades [For Turboing]

I have over a year to think about what I want to do and this is probably going to be the last posts that I will have asking a question about turboing my car. I want to see how much labor would be for someone to install internal upgrades to my car and I don't know what all needs upgraded. The only things that I know I should change are the pistons to forged pistons and the conecting rods to crower conecting rods. Are there any other parts that need upgraded for me to get a lot of power from my d16? I was looking around and I saw that a web site said I could get about 300-350hp from that with a good tune. So what else do I need to do to get to that goal or should i settle for 200-250hp? My guess would be that I would need 15-20 psi for that kind of power so would a Greddy setup be ok or do I need a bigger turbo?

Old 09-04-2006, 04:16 PM
Default RE: Engine Internal Upgrades [For Turboing]

you wouldnt need 20 psi to break 350 whp i'de go with 10 psi on the stock internals would net approxamately 300 +or- whp. i'de stay with the stock internals and a full engine management until you learn how to drive the car under boost and learn how its goin to act and drive. when you up the boost to 16-20 it becomes a different animal. its a whole new ball game and its alot different like night and day.

i'de boost it on the stock internals, enginemanagement, and a clutch and call it done for a while. before you do anything i'de do a compression and leak down test to see if the stock internals are still capable of holding boost.

Old 09-04-2006, 04:27 PM
HCF Member

^ im running 10psi and pushin 212 on a bad tune. After a pretty good tune ill have 250+whp... 300 is nuts.

Old 09-04-2006, 04:43 PM

ORIGINAL: MY99SI

i'de go with 10 psi on the stock internals would net approxamately 300 +or- whp.
PSI is a completely relative term. What might take 10 psi on one turbo, may take 20 on another to make the same power. Also, assuming you have a D-series I'd be weary of taking a stock block to those levels of power. Yes it's been done, but by veterns only from what I've seen.

But whatever you decide, just make sure you break the block in properly. I like this break-in procedure: http://mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Old 09-04-2006, 04:45 PM
formerly aryiman98civic

ya i heard that after you get over 300 its just crazy fast. i bet 250 is fast as well. i just cant wait to see what my turbo setup puts out. also its all about the tune and how much psi you can put on the stock internals. i would never push it past 10 psi on stock internals though. after you get forged pistons and rods you are pretty much golden for a lot of hp on a good tune. good luck with everything.

Old 09-04-2006, 04:52 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Remmy

300 is nuts.
^exactly why I want it.

Old 09-04-2006, 05:27 PM

i would say if your palnning on rebuilding the bottom end, might as well do it before boosting, cause no one wants to get a new block because there old one has a hole in it. on a few other forums i frequent guys are running between 15-20 psi on their engine with only forged pistons and rods, nothing else done interanlly.

Old 09-04-2006, 05:43 PM
HCF Member

is there anything else that you think i should upgrade also, if im paying someone to rip my engine apart and replace pistons and rods im only doing to once so I would have them upgrade it all at the same time.

Old 09-04-2006, 07:05 PM
Recognized HCF Member

fuel injectors

Old 09-04-2006, 07:28 PM

feul pump

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine Internal Upgrades [For Turboing]