Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

LS/vtec super block?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 11:17 AM
Default LS/vtec super block?

i have a b16a2 si and i just blew the third cyl piston when i instaled my JR supercharger,
im getting a LS b18b2 short block and need your guys help. i want daily driver and reliablty, and i have a budget of 1200$ what kind of pistons, rods, bolts.ect. thanks
ohhh and JR super puts out about 5-7boost
andy

Old 04-27-2008, 05:41 AM
Snail'n Admin
Default RE: LS/vtec super block?

Well homey, you aint gettin GREAT reliability with that kind of money. Cp pistons are good, lil pricey, and Im not sure if Golden eagle makes rods for an ls, but if they do, good choice. Otherwise go with crower, pretty sure they have them. ARP head studs are 100. Youre gonna need a vtec conversion kit from golden eagle if thats the way you plan to go...That 1200 is gonna go really quick, good luck

Old 04-27-2008, 07:03 AM
HCF Member

I could be wrong in this statement but I think the ls bottom ends are not balanced like they are in a b16a and b18c for the high revs those engines are made for plenty of people still run them but running it that high will not be good for its reliability unless you want to get a fully balanced bottom end and 1200 wont do that I dont believe.

Old 04-27-2008, 10:32 AM

ok well i can get way better prices then most people so forget the budget and just give me what you think i need. b18 pistons are fine, gsr bearings, apr rods, type R water pump, type R fuel pump whata yah think?
pr3 or p30 pistons or type R pistons?

Old 04-27-2008, 10:51 AM
Super Cereal Admin

yeah, bcivic is right... the ls engine was not intended for high revs. If you want to throw the tach needle into the stratosphere, get a gsr motor... they were designed to have the absolute p**s beat out of them, which is why the gsr was aimed at the 16-24 year old male audience.

Old 04-27-2008, 10:56 AM
Snail'n Admin

Yea, that was the main thing that turned me away from the ls/vtec. You need to do it right, and pretty much sleeve it, pistons, rods, the whole 9 yards. It gets to be really expensive if you want reliability

Old 04-28-2008, 10:54 AM

w.e. you dont even know. only talk out of experience not word of mouth, i have five friends in CA that all did LS vtec rods bearsing and extra oil squarters and have had great performance!

GSR is a great idea but id rather rebuild a LS, it would be cheeper!
thanks anyway guys

Old 04-28-2008, 11:15 AM
HCF Member

If you have friends that have supposedly already done this then why are you asking us?
Ask them, who have, as you say, had great performance.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:22 AM
Super Cereal Admin

All I'm saying is an ls/vtec (even with $1200 worth of internals... which isn't much btw) revved to 8k rpm on a daily basis will blow way before a stock gsr. The ls is just flat-out not designed to rev as high as a b18c. It's like taking an h22 and revving it to 10k... the engine might hold up for a while, but it's just asking for trouble. And I agree with macbeth... if you know so many people who have actually done it, why on earth are you asking us about it and not them?

Old 04-28-2008, 06:59 PM

ORIGINAL: and_so_we_went

w.e. you dont even know. only talk out of experience not word of mouth, i have five friends in CA that all did LS vtec rods bearsing and extra oil squarters and have had great performance!

GSR is a great idea but id rather rebuild a LS, it would be cheeper!
thanks anyway guys
Lol. "You don't even know." That's a funny statement coming from someone who also doesn't even know. You ask a question, get an answer, and then write them off for them being wrong. Well if you didn't want an answer, why did you ask the question?

You blew your engine because you didn't tune the car. Plain and simple. You can certainly go and just build another engine but don't worry, you will blow it again unless you listen to me.

Quick Reply: LS/vtec super block?