Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

My JRSC 97 EX won't pass emmisions!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 01:02 AM
Default My JRSC 97 EX won't pass emmisions!!

[:@]I have a 97 SOHC Jackson SC that won't pass EMISSIONS!!!
keeps saying "not ready"for the O2 , cat and evap for the past 2 years!!!
My friend hooked it up to a wideband O2 and the fuel fluxuates just a lil when in boost not too lean/rich runing about 60psi on the FMU
Anyone have this problem??or the same set up with no problems???
What kind of set-up do you have to pass EMISSIONS!!!!...I'm losing my mind with this!!!My fathers worked for HONDA R&D for 25yrs now and can't figure it out either!!!he brought home a Honda diagnostic and stillcan't pin-point what's wrong...no CEL's....someone help here or have the same problem??
Has
Factory Injectors/ECM
Basic bolt-ons Headers,Intake,cam gear
6-7Psi
MSD 6AL
No name FMU
VAFC hooked up but,fuel curve isn't working??

Old 05-01-2007, 06:34 AM
Default RE: My JRSC 97 EX won't pass emmisions!!

The FMU and VAFC are throwing you off. Read this: http://www.phearable.net/tech/efibeginnerguide.html

Old 05-01-2007, 04:05 PM

ORIGINAL: Kedawei

The FMU and VAFC are throwing you off. Read this: http://www.phearable.net/tech/efibeginnerguide.html
Yeah Iknow something is throwingthe ECUoff cause I've been to the emissions here about12 timesin the last 2years doing "Readiness Drives" and all....andI've replaced theO2-Cat-EVAP but,it's still saying these are"Not Ready"??so we can't pinpoint what it is??it's not running too rich or lean...I don'thave the money for a Hondata or Uber...so what JRSC set-up do people have that are passing emissions??

Old 05-01-2007, 06:55 PM

Well bad emissions are a product of incomplete combustion. Easiest thing it sounds like to me would be to run as premium fuel as you can get, hook up your wideband,and lean out with the VAFC (without blowing the motor obviously). Leaning with a VAFC will advance ignition timing a bit (a bad combination, but what can you do I guess), both of which will give you a bit more complete combustion. I would try to keep the FMU at 60psi, but if that's not cutting it maybe try turning it up to compensate for the leaning, which would allow you to "lean" the VAFC a bit more, which would advance timing a bit more. If that doesn't work you might need to invest in a timing light and advance the timing manually. Advancing ignition timing is dangerous. If you go to far you blow your motor, and whether you hear knock or not you could be damaging your internals. Butit might get you through emissions.

If you can afford it I would really geta proper tune though. And I would definitely do before the next emissions check. The sooner the better.

:edit: And also keep in mind the above is not a solution. Its not a healthy pratice for your motor. I only suggest it to make it through emissions, if even possible.

Old 05-01-2007, 09:32 PM

ORIGINAL: Kedawei

Well bad emissions are a product of incomplete combustion. Easiest thing it sounds like to me would be to run as premium fuel as you can get, hook up your wideband,and lean out with the VAFC (without blowing the motor obviously). Leaning with a VAFC will advance ignition timing a bit (a bad combination, but what can you do I guess), both of which will give you a bit more complete combustion. I would try to keep the FMU at 60psi, but if that's not cutting it maybe try turning it up to compensate for the leaning, which would allow you to "lean" the VAFC a bit more, which would advance timing a bit more. If that doesn't work you might need to invest in a timing light and advance the timing manually. Advancing ignition timing is dangerous. If you go to far you blow your motor, and whether you hear knock or not you could be damaging your internals. Butit might get you through emissions.

If you can afford it I would really geta proper tune though. And I would definitely do before the next emissions check. The sooner the better.

:edit: And also keep in mind the above is not a solution. Its not a healthy pratice for your motor. I only suggest it to make it through emissions, if even possible.
Well the thing is it's an OBD11 and in Atlanta you don't really do a smog test at 20-40mph they just hook it up and turn the ignition on....and whatever shows up that's wrong shows up...and everytime it's been the EVAP-CAT-O2 in"Not Ready"mode...my VAFC isn't working properly either...my boy hooked it up to a wideband and he said the adjustments for the fuel curve aren't working...one guy said it's my FMU and to get a p28 ecu chipped...but,I would think when the emissions plug it up won't the VIN#be different or the car model??I'm out of ideas here

Old 05-01-2007, 09:50 PM
HCF Member

im not sure the ECU knows the vin...but also, that shouldnt matter because when you do a legal swap...your going to have to change the ecu anyway. thats what i would do (p28 or P72 chipped) and btw...isnt uberdata free? i thought thats what i heard. but w/e

Old 05-01-2007, 10:14 PM

ORIGINAL: mk4r34

Well the thing is it's an OBD11 and in Atlanta you don't really do a smog test at 20-40mph they just hook it up and turn the ignition on....and whatever shows up that's wrong shows up...and everytime it's been the EVAP-CAT-O2 in"Not Ready"mode...my VAFC isn't working properly either...my boy hooked it up to a wideband and he said the adjustments for the fuel curve aren't working...one guy said it's my FMU and to get a p28 ecu chipped...but,I would think when the emissions plug it up won't the VIN#be different or the car model??I'm out of ideas here
I assumed they smogged only. I figured you'd fail automatically if they hooked up to your ECU with the VAFC on there. If they do hook up to the ECU, I don't know if chipping will do the trick either. You have to convert to OBD1 to use a chipped ECU, which I believe you are not allowed to do on a car manufactured after 1996.

And yes Uberdata and Crome are free, but you need a wideband and laptop to datalog ($$).

Btw anyone can step in and correct my **** here. I'm just now figuring out tuning (today in fact). I've never dealt with emissions in any state either.

Old 05-02-2007, 10:37 AM
HCF Member

i think your right...everything makes sense.....emssions FTL[:'(]

Old 05-02-2007, 01:58 PM

Yeah i took the VAFC off lastnight...but,still don't know....all I know is it has something to do with the fuel...if the emissions keeps showing it's the EVAP-CAT-O2 for almost 2 yrs and we've done what we can in between??..I replaced both O2 sensors(which one DID pass)and the cat..and still won't pass...it's obviously resetting itself if it keeps saying"Not Ready"at the emissions...my boy hooked it up to a wideband and the FPR is at 60psi so it's not running rich/lean...I'm out of ideas!!

Old 05-02-2007, 06:55 PM

What was air/fuel at?

Quick Reply: My JRSC 97 EX won't pass emmisions!!