HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/nitrous-super-chargers-turbos-13/)
-   -   New Fuel system, isnt ECU neccessarry? (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/nitrous-super-chargers-turbos-13/new-fuel-system-isnt-ecu-neccessarry-26916/)

FlipHKD720 08-09-2006 12:02 PM

New Fuel system, isnt ECU neccessarry?

When you turbo your car, i know its neccessarry to get a better fuel system (delivers more fuel) to keep your A/F ratio perfect becasue of all the air the turbo puts into your car. When you upgrade to a new fuel pump, does the fuel pump automatically know to deliver more fuel? Or is something like SAFC or VAFC neccessarry as well?

And also, what components of your fuel system do you usually need to upgrade? Injectors? Rail? Pump? FPR?

pWnEdU 08-09-2006 05:47 PM

RE: New Fuel system, isnt ECU neccessarry?

You will need all of those things along with fuel management and a good tune.

The fuel the engine recieves is a product of the fueling maps stored in the ECU. A FPR and a bigger pump can supply more fuel, but still on those same maps.

Skrapdoggydog 08-09-2006 06:10 PM

depends on how much horsepower u want. I am looking to get 250whp out of my turbo set up so I went with 440cc injectors, a high flow pump and a chipped PR3 ecu that I am going to have tuned w/ crome. Engine Management is what will keep ur A/F at the proper ratio. You can have all the fuel system upgrades in the world but w/o EM and a good tune ur car will not run well or b reliable. I don't know much about SAFC's or VAFC's (but i'm sure someone on HCF can give u some info), and a FPR wouldn't hurt but i'm not sure if it is a neccesity, also I've heard that stock fuel rails are capable of supporting 300 horses maybe more. just my $.02!! good luck!

FlipHKD720 08-09-2006 09:45 PM

Yeah thats what i was thinking....how would your ECU know to supply more fuel without re-mapping the fuel curve? (rhetorical question).

And Skrapdoggydog, SAFC stands for Super Air Fuel Controller, all it does is adjust your A/F Ratio, so thats why it would seem useful in this situation. It does a fracton of the Emanage or AEM EMS does. Just an FYI man. :)

Fiirkan 08-09-2006 10:16 PM

aparently the stock pump is good for 300bhp, so you would only need the pressure regulator and injectors for the fuel part, but still a remapping of the ECU and a good tune

FlipHKD720 08-09-2006 11:23 PM

gnarly Fiirkan thanks for the info [8D] it has just seemed like everybody that had installed a turbo had gotten a new fuel pump, but i dont plan on throwin down more than 300 anytime soon.

FlipHKD720 08-12-2006 01:56 AM

Well Fiirkan, re-reading this, is an aftermarket FPR really neccessarry? Or would the SAFC adjust the Fuel Pressure on its own? I know an aftermarket one would look better/be adjusted easier but do u really need it?

Marty 08-12-2006 10:06 AM

SAFC' are junk. I knew a guy with a boosted Y8 and using the SAFC and man it ran worse than stock.

FlipHKD720 08-12-2006 01:01 PM

really? thats the first negative thing ive heard about them...thanks for the warning though Marty. :)

Forty04 08-13-2006 10:58 AM

ORIGINAL: Marty

SAFC' are junk. I knew a guy with a boosted Y8 and using the SAFC and man it ran worse than stock.
+1, SAFCs, VAFCS, FMU's are all unnecessary.. Get a chipped ecu with a tune.

Upgrading the fuel pump is not a bad idea, just to garauntee solid flow. A fuel pump will only push as much as the ecu tells it too