Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

Turbo vs. Supercharger

Old 02-19-2010, 12:14 AM

point taken. even the top of the range Nissan Primera P11 2000cc comes with a hyper CVT six speed tiptronic. but its a CVT nevertheless, handlng close to 180BHP. i've looked in many many forums and never found anyone who's supercharged a CVT. but still, with the way it works, based on principle, supercharging is the thing to do, since a turbo won't work.

guess i'll have to find out the hard way guys. am building up capital to do this at the moment. will get round to it next year. and will let you know how the CVT holds up!

cheers!

Old 02-19-2010, 06:51 AM
Cat Fuсker

Why won't a turbo work with CVT?

Old 02-20-2010, 02:00 AM

@stifflersmom (lol at username! XD )

in theory, it shouldn't, because a CVT box doesn't rev up and go through the gears like a four stage auto or a manual does. it keeps the RPM constant, and slowly moves the conical gear to gain speed. the rpm at which this happens determines the acceleration. say its at 200rpm, then its a gradual acceleration. 3500 a little faster. and 4500 even faster. but the revs don't jump from idle to 6000when you floor it. it jumps to a preset level, and STAYS there, while the speedo hits the roof. that rpm depends on the mode you put the car in. it comes with 3 presets: Econo, Drive and Sport. and as you can imagine, the rpm levels are different for each. now the problem is, is i stick in a turbo here, it will make the engine gain revs faster, and also only begin to spool at 3500-4000+, effectively only in sport mode. still this might highly confuse the CVT, and CVT's are not fond of being highly confused.

a supercharger, on the other hand, works at any RPM, even if the rpm is static. it just pushes a constant volume of air into the intake, and provides a linear boost curve, rather than the vicious cycle of a turbo. so this is why i think a supercharger will be less stress on the CVT and more appropriate for my car than a turbo.

i'f i'm wrong with my logic, pls, do let me know. there's so little literature abt this on the net...

Old 02-21-2010, 06:12 PM
Cat Fuсker

Theoretically your logic is correct. Practically... consider the cost of a replacement CVT and go for it! We'll be glad to help you do this right, but than again we have no data on the CVT.

Old 02-21-2010, 11:25 PM

ouch. yeah a replacement CVT in my part of the world is around $400. and they're not exactly off the shelf. no one's supercharged a civic in my country before, so i have NO data on this! i guess there's a first time for everything!! will run it past a couple of mechanics and performance garages and post their thoughts too...

cheers mate. appreciate the input!!

Old 08-10-2010, 03:08 PM

hey guys i like the break down on turbochargers. i wanted to know if it is possible to write down a parts list tht i would need to goo turbo on my honda please... or if i buy a turbo kit from online would my motor withstand the boost from the turbo....

Old 08-11-2010, 03:19 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

Jesus christ...

RESEARCH! Use the search function here, and browse the stickies and DIY section. I made a WHOLE DAMN LIST of parts that are necessary and/or beneficial to a turbo build

Old 10-11-2010, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by Kwin
is a turbo the same thing as a turbo charger if not what is the difference?
Yes. A "turbo" is the short/easy way to say "turbocharger".

Old 11-13-2010, 04:06 PM

i have a 97 honda civic ex, im buying a supercharger this week, it comes with the intake manifold and throttle body. what do i need to do before installing it? and if you have any tips, thanks

Old 11-27-2010, 10:22 PM
HCF Member

hello guys! so today i helped my friend move and guess what he found in the garage? A turbo. he gave it to me haha.

ok so it's a garrett. He told me that its a t25/40? and the flange(?) is a t2. I don't know too much about turbo parts. I understand what the diameters are etc just not all the connectors are. I know how it works and whats needed etc.

Just some questions. I need a kit! Anyone know exactly what turbo i'm dealing with here? Do you guys have some places i can look at for some reliable and complete kits? Well it doesnt have to be complete. Just some places you guys bought from that were reliable. I can buy parts separately of course. I'm just curious what you guys know. I'd like to install this on my d15b7 civic sedan!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Turbo vs. Supercharger