Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

Wassup guys need a lil help...

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 10:56 AM
HCF Member
Default Wassup guys need a lil help...

Wassup peoples, im lookin a these turbo kits for my 00 ex d16y8, and ive been doing some searching but cant really find what i need. Heres the kit im checking out http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/T3-T4...1%7C240%3A1318 and i was wondering what else i will need to complete the swap. I wont be installing this kit myself im going to have a local shop do it. Also im in Macon Ga, and i know i will need to get it tuned before i can drive it, can anyone reccomend a shop in the south east who can tune it and do it right? would it be a better idea to have the shop that tunes it install the kit too?? trailering my car wont be a problem. btw i did search but im on a library pc and they limit u to 1 hour a day...bs...aight guys any reccomendations is welcomed, thanks!!!

EDIT: or would this kit be a better one ?? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA...1%7C240%3A1318

Last edited by The_Dealer; 05-12-2009 at 10:59 AM.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:50 PM

Both of those kits are garbage. If it's a turbo without a name brand, it's trash.

You're not going to find a quality kit on eBay for under $1400. If it's less than that, it's trash. (unless it's used... then just make sure it's not generic garbage)

Old 05-12-2009, 05:04 PM
Snail'n Admin

Stu, stfu. you're speaking from what you hear. Not EVERY ebay turbo kit is garbage. Generally, yes, the turbo smokes and the oil lines melt. HOWEVER, there are kits that hold up very well. For a while, the fastest 1/4mile SOHC was running an ebay turbo. You just gotta be willing to replace stuff when/if it goes bad

Old 05-12-2009, 05:16 PM
HCF Member
Arrow

Originally Posted by GReddy_Civic
Stu, stfu.
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA lol

For a while, the fastest 1/4mile SOHC was running an ebay turbo. You just gotta be willing to replace stuff when/if it goes bad
And thats something i did not know

GOOD HARD FACTS
presented by GReddy Civic

Old 05-12-2009, 05:24 PM

Stu, stfu.
Trent, get the fµck over yourself. Hardass.

EDIT: don't take it too personally, i'm not having the greatest day. that just pissed me off more.

I also sense a little hostility over the whole "May ROTM" thread I made. I would have posted to explain you guys were taking it the wrong way, but you locked the thread before I had a chance (big surprise ). When I said "What's up staff?", I meant what's up as in "are we still doing this" and as in "what's the status". I wasn't being impatient, just was wondering if you guys forgot.

Last edited by trustdestruction; 05-12-2009 at 06:01 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:37 AM
HCF Member

ok so ive been checking out the edelbrock kits on summit, and was wondering if i go with one of those kits, what will i need to do with the tuning and getting extra fuel?? trying to decide whether i want to do turbo or a motor swap

Old 05-13-2009, 11:30 AM
Snail'n Admin

No we didnt forget. I have my last final tomorrow. I'm trying. Its just a bit more time consuming than you guys think. It'd be easier with help but whatever. We will get it in. Anyway, back on topic.
OP, a swap will give you much less power. An edelbrock kit or greddy kit is the way to go if youre gonna get a kit. Tuning, both of them come with a piggyback which are garbage and Id suggest getting a chipped ecu. The edelbrock is the SUPERIOR kit based on what you get. They give you everything you need. The IM they send in the kit has ports for the 4 extra injectors they give you. Greddy gives you nothing of that sort, nor do they give you a FMIc

Old 05-13-2009, 12:27 PM

Swaps are great if you have a lot of money and you're going to heavily mod the engine you swap in, such as turbo it. They're also good if you want to make more power than a built and turbo D-series can, but those can make like 700WHP or something, so you'd have to have a really heavy duty drag car to be able to use that as your reasoning for swapping. They're also good for if you want to stay N/A but make decent power... DOHC engines respond to simple mods better than a D-series. That being said, the most common situations, where someone just wants a little more power in their DD (daily driver), turbocharging their D-series would be the best option, because it gives you the best bang for your buck.

However, the D-series is quite capable of giving you a lot of power, for less money than the B-series and others. It is relatively inexpensive to keep the D-series you have, build it, and turbo it if you're wanting to make insane amounts of power.

The D16Y8 can in general make 225WHP on stock internals safely or something like that, and with a really good tune could probably make 250WHP if you shim the oil pump (because it sucks). Most people tend to go right around 200WHP on stock internals to be safe.

Pretty much any swap is going to leave you with under 200WHP.

Old 05-13-2009, 01:12 PM
HCF Member

yea im really wanting between 200-275 hp at the wheels, checked out alot of threads over at turbod16.com and turboing my d16 seems to be the way to go. but i cant find any forged d16 internals, or am i not looking hard enough??? my buddy runs water/meth injection on his 24v cummins would that also be a good idea in my situation too??? i hear u get more power and it lowers intake temp to help prevent detonation...that right?

Old 05-13-2009, 03:27 PM
Snail'n Admin

Yea, but if youre lookin for up to 275, its not necessary. People that use that usaully use it for race applications. There are forged internals EVERYWHERE. Gotta look harder. A very common setup is golden eagle rods/vitara pistons. Theyre reliable to 325whp or so. Then CP and quite a few others make pistons/rods. Just gotta look. Check out CP pistons, Crower cams (pretty sure they make rods), Arias, Golden Eagle, Wiseco, and JE for forged internals. Im shootin for 350whp so Ill probably use a CP/GE setup. Also, look into head work. No use havin forged internals if you cant make power above 6k

Quick Reply: Wassup guys need a lil help...