Pics and Videos Post Video and Sound clips here. This forum is for video's pertaining to Honda Civic's, Racing (Street/Strip), Interviews, and Off Topic.

Dyno with "new" motor.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 05:26 PM
Default Dyno with "new" motor.

So I dynoed my old 210k mile motor a few months back, even made a thread about it.
https://www.hondacivicforum.com/foru...s-86597/page2/

After that, I set made the decision that I would just find a "new" motor with lower miles to replace it instead of rebuilding. I found a good motor, did a few tests on it before I bought it. I installed in about a month ago and it runs amazingly well. When I first installed it and tried to start it, I cranked it over the first time for a couple seconds and it didn't fire. I expected this. The second time I turn the key, it fired up immediately. That surprised me. It runs very very smooth, better than my old motor. I've already done a few AutoX events with it and I notice a difference. Primarily in the low end RPM range. The old motor used to bog down at WOT when under 4k RPM. This one is much more responsive.

I finally got the time to dyno it today on the same dyno I used for the old motor. The results are a bit surprising to me. The old motor made 93whp and 79wtq. This new one made 96whp and 82wtq. So only a 3whp and 3 wtq gain. Not much but atleast it's a gain. The biggest thing, as I said, is bottom end. At 2400rpm there is a 6wtq gain and at 3400-3600rpm there is a 4wtq gain. This is very noticeable to me. All in all I can't complain. Though I am looking at other things to get a little more power out of this motor while still staying in my class for AutoX.

Anyways, here's the video and pics.
YouTube - 2nd Dyno Run 3-21-11

The top curve is the new motor and the bottom curve is the old motor
Name:  IMG_0217.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  48.0 KB
Max WHP is at 6400-6800 RPM and max WTQ is at 4800RPM
Name:  IMG_0215.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  83.6 KB

Mind you, Dyno Dynamics dyno's tend to read very low. On another dyno the numbers would could potentially be around 111whp and 95wtq.

Old 03-21-2011, 06:36 PM
HCF Member

Nice!
At least you know for a fact that you made a good purchase on the motor.
I know a lot of people get burned out when buying locally.. like from craiglist.

Old 03-21-2011, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by DaOne
Nice!
At least you know for a fact that you made a good purchase on the motor.
I know a lot of people get burned out when buying locally.. like from craiglist.
Yeah well I was very picky. I found this motor through craigslist about an hour away from me. Luckily the guy selling it was very cool and understanding. I went up I think 3 times to check it out and do tests on it before buying it. He sold me the complete motor with full wireharness, a trans, axles and exhaust manifold for $500 AND he even drove it down to me, couldn't have asked for a nicer seller lol. He also was able to crank the motor to prove to me it turns over and he told me everything he could about it. He let me go up and do compression tests and leak down tests before I bought it. I really lucked out on it IMO.

Actually looking over the chart for power/tq at certain RPM's, the most power/tq I actually gained was at 7200RPM I gained 4whp and at 4200RPM I gained 6wtq. Not too bad. More importantly to me though is the fact that this motor has less miles and runs smoother than my last. I have a bit more confidence in beating on this motor every weekend and it being able to drive me back home than I did with the last. So it's a good win-win.

Old 05-10-2011, 04:36 PM

wow, great improvement!