HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Routine Maintenance DIYs (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/routine-maintenance-diys-73/)
-   -   DIY VTEC solenoid minor overhaul (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/routine-maintenance-diys-73/diy-vtec-solenoid-minor-overhaul-94951/)

zerojett 02-22-2013 06:18 PM

DIY VTEC solenoid minor overhaul

15 Attachment(s)
While I'm waiting on the machine shop to finish my head and block, I figured I'd clean my VTEC solenoid. I didn't do a complete overhaul, but, it's good enough for me.

I won't go over removal of the actual solenoid, as I had already removed mine, and it is fairly easy to do.

The whole process took maybe an hour, depending on how clean you want it. I'd rate it at a level of super easy. It is just cleaning after all!

Tools/parts/supplies required:
10mm socket wrench
22mm box end wrench
Tiny flathead screwdriver or pick
Toothbrushes, the smaller the better
Paper towel
Intake cleaner, brake cleaner, Acetone, anything to remove caked on oil

Part numbers for 2 gaskets, 1 o-ring

Attachment 4675

Here's the dirty bastard...

Attachment 4676

First thing is first, pick the obviously visible gasket out from the solenoid. It might be dirty, might not be.

Mine was pretty damn dirty. I'm very happy I've decided to do this.

Attachment 4677

After that's out, remove the 3 10mm bolts from the top, you should see this thing. Remove it, it's just sitting there. Underneath is a plunger and spring which will fall out, hopefully into your hand. Keep the spring and small disk w/hole safe somewhere. Remove the oil pressure sensor from the side using the 22mm wrench. You'll see the small orange O ring that we'll be replacing soon...

Attachment 4678

Remove the upper solenoid gasket using a small flathead or pick.

Attachment 4679

Alright now that she's stripped down, we can start to clean. Assemble your cleaning supplies.

Attachment 4680

We'll be cleaning these parts today. The plunger shouldn't be too dirty. I cleaned whatever I could off of it. Don't use anything abrasive.

Attachment 4681

Naaaaasty. Spray that bittthhh down with your cleaner and let it soak. I find it easiest to plug the big hole (where the plunger and disk came from) with a rolled up bit of paper towel. This way the cleaning agent doesn't drip out the end.

Attachment 4682

Use your small toothbrush and scrub inside there. Get aaaaallll that nastiness out of there. Take a piece of paper towel and wrap it around the handle of the toothbrush to get deep inside her. Bow-chika...

Attachment 4683

After two soaks and scrubs, I was left with this:

Attachment 4684

The top solenoid doesn't need much cleaning. I sprayed some cleaner into it, but I don't think it did much.

After you're satisfied, bask in the glow of your clean parts on the counter...

Attachment 4685

Put the spring into the plunger, put the plunger into the lower solenoid, and place the disk back on top!

Attachment 4686

Install the new gaskets...

Attachment 4687

Attachment 4688

The new upper solenoid gasket didn't have the little strainer thing on it. I don't think it really matters too much. It wasn't overly dirty compared to the lower gasket!

Replace the O ring on the oil pressure sensor... put the 3 10mm bolts back in place... presto! So fresh, so clean.

Attachment 4689

Congrats. Go have a beer! :cool:

Turtlegrip 02-25-2013 10:14 AM

Nice write up.
It is easy and i would recommend it, my engine came with 35k miles on it and that thing was still disgusting when i cleaned it...