HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/suspension-brakes-tires-wheels-14/)
-   -   2002 Honda Civic Ex Front End Shimmy (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/suspension-brakes-tires-wheels-14/2002-honda-civic-ex-front-end-shimmy-93028/)

rqualls 04-19-2012 08:14 PM

2002 Honda Civic Ex Front End Shimmy

I know have I read alot of threads regarding this issue, but just bought this car and just now having a chance to look into the issue. Seems the front end is loose (hearing noise when in bumpy driveway) and when around 50-70mph have a strong steering shimmy more prevalent when hitting bumps in the road.
I haven't checked to have it aligned or balanced yet, but did pull both front wheels off today and took a look around, but don't see anything out of the ordinary, even though you can't really tell by looking and trying to move things around by hand.
Car has 114,000 miles on it.
Hate to be redundant of other threads, but wander where to start. Replacing bushings etc... one part at a time until problem is resolved?
Thanks...

civicexracer 04-22-2012 05:49 PM

Test your components and visually make sure everything is ok before you throw money at your car and hope something fixes it.

Check your ball joints, steering rack, bushings(lower control arm and strut top mount), and make sure all your bolts are torqued. Also check your wheel bearings.

rqualls 04-24-2012 07:21 AM

Update:
I have replaced the lower control arms bushings and that eliminated 98% of shimmy. The struts need replacing which I hope takes care of the remaining. All other components, while aged, still seem ok.
Also, replaced rear-end bearing hubs. Did not get rid of most wheel noise. Rotated the tires from rear to front, and now quite in back and noise in front. Assuming bad tires.
Waiting on more $$$ to do more. thanks

rqualls 04-25-2012 07:40 AM

I take that back... after driving more, it would appear the new bushings eliminated about 75% of shimmy. The shimmy is still there, just not as bad. Is it because of the need for new struts? The only other thing I noticed while working on it, that the sway bar end links were really easy to move around...
and as for as the wheel noise... could it just be bad tires? the steal belts etc... they are mastercraft touring radials(which I assume are some cheap *ss tires)..
Thanks for you help!!

boiler1 05-03-2012 08:13 AM

Sounds like the driving vibration is unbalanced tires, and the worn shocks and bushings aren't dampening it out. So you fixed part of the problem....

your sway bar bushings should not be able to move by hand. That means your entire swaybar is moving, which means the swaybar bushings at the frame are done/gone?

rqualls 06-04-2012 11:51 AM

Sorry for taking so long, but had to wait on $$$. I have replaced the front struts and sway bar end links, and shimmy is gone. Nice tight ride in the front now.
Now I need to figure out rear... Still believe the tires are bad and making the road noise... and will replace the rear struts also when have more $$$. Went ahead and purchased timing belt and water pump and plan on replacing those soon... Will keep you posted... and thanks again for all your help...