Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

'94 Civic Rear Drum Brakes to Disk

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 06:58 AM
Default '94 Civic Rear Drum Brakes to Disk

Ok I'm going to pick everyones brain for a bit. From my previous posts I'm sure you all know I'm a noob but trying to learn. My question this time is, How do I go about changing my rear drum brakes on my '94 Civic 4 door to disk brakes like my front brakes? What do I need to make the swap? Is there any tricks I should know about? I'm looking for any and all info , Thanks and God bless.

Old 05-14-2008, 07:10 AM
Default RE: '94 Civic Rear Drum Brakes to Disk

I am a new Honda owner. I looked into it myself. You can use DC2 integra parts or IIRC DA integra parts. also, i think Civic EX's come with the option of disc brakes. google will be your best friend. thats where i found out all this information.

Old 05-14-2008, 07:19 AM
June 2010 ROTM

god bless?

I didn't sneeze.

Anyways, use the search function!!!!

Old 05-26-2008, 07:57 PM

I just completed my conversion this weekend and it turned out awesome! I have a 95 2dr dx...the donor trailing arms came off a 91 integra. I can't really give you all the details on compatability of components for your specific application but I will tell you how I did mine. I purchased the trailing arms off of another web site, sight unseen (some times you have to take a chance) for $190.00 with s+h. First off 2 caliper pins were missing and all of the rotor retaining screws were broken off in the wheel hubs. I started by wire brushing and pressure washing the arms after removal of most of the components except the hubs and shields. I then purchased a areosol rust neutralizer (black) and sprayed the arms and any other items I was going to re-use. Now you have to decide how much money do you want to spend. The calipers looked like crap and it's not really worth the time and effort to clean and rebuild them so off to the parts store I went. I obtained 2 reman calipers for $50.00 a piece...when I got them one was far better looking than the other so I returned it and reordered. Finally both calipers came in and were in great shape! Now if your going this far don't even think about using the crappy stock arm bushings (they're usually cracked and rotted anyway). I ordered just the bushings (91 integra). Now the fun part...I used a coarse bladed jab saw to cut out the centers of the bushing with the cross pins. Make sure you match mark top/bottom, in/out whatever and measure the distance from the end of the pin to the face of the bushing seat (I used a simple square for this and write down your measurments. I then used MAPP gas to cook out the remainder of the old bushings while using the jab saw to cut and expose more material. Once this was complete and everything cooled I used a 1/4 die grinder with a sanding drum to clean out and prepare for instalation (the surface must be clean and free of any old bushing!). The next step is to install the new bushings...there are several ways to do this and a few special tools to get you there, however I have a 50 ton press in my shop. Coat the inside of the bushing seats with a liberal amount of grease and do the same to the outside of the new bushing. You must press the new bushing in from the wheel stud side of the arm. Now back to the cross pins...more MAPP gas and a wire brush on a 10,000 rpm open shoe grinder for final cleaning. Press the pins in they're respective places (you marked and measured...right !?!?).
Hard parts done. Purchase new hoses for the donor arms and E brake cables. NOTE: the hoses will be for the year of the arms, the cables will be for the year of your car with stock disk brakes. I was told the drivers side cable was not available sooo, after a little research and thinking came to the conclusion that the cables both need to be the same length and go to the same place (but there were different part #'s). I just ordered 2 passenger side, the only difference isthe brackets that go to the body! I'll cut this short...anyway the surgery was a complete success and the patient is doing well ! Let me know if you need more info.