Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Air ride suspension

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 07:38 PM
HCF Member
Default Air ride suspension

I'm considering skipping the whole struts/shocks and coilover dilemma and going straight toward the air ride setup. First off, it would be nice if a few of you had experience or even some knowledge on the subject. I don't hear too much about these kits on here, i'm guessing it's not the nicest ride quality or whatever it be. To be honest that is not that important to me.
I have an opportunity to keep a kit for about $700-800ish and it comes with 5 gallon tank, Hosing , air compressor , Switch box, And all solenoids needed and piping.
Is that everything I need for a complete setup?
I would appreciate any comments or concerns with these setups. Thanks

Old 04-21-2007, 12:28 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Air ride suspension

be careful when you start dealing with air ride. its nice and all but you dont want to go the cheap way on that. 700-800 doesnt sound right to me. the cheapest quality kit i have seen is around 2 grand. about what u will need, probably an air gauge of some sort.

Old 04-21-2007, 12:42 AM

ok DON"T buy it. its garbage and u will wish u never did it. u want quality. I had mine for almost 5 years now only had one problem, but a friend of mine went cheap and we use to fix his like every other week.

ok so what do u want jus up and down and side to side basic or do u want it to be faster so u can dance it and have a bunch of people around your car.

Yes the ride quality is going to suffer. No more fast corners it is basically like a caddy floats alot. Not a horrible ride just not the same as aftermarket springs.

I only use 300 psi valves from car washes, all brass fittings between the valves, compression fittings not snap fittings, air rod instead of air struts, no compressor and storage tank I only use a sealed system with compressed nitrogen alot more switch play and quicker up and down. Its cheaper to run nitrogen in the start since u don't have to buy a noisey compressor and tank. U just get a regulater and rent a nitrogen tank from local welding supply store. U will have to refill the tank and no u won't get stuck anywhere because u can tell when it is getting low by the speed of the suspension. to refill its about 10 and u rent the tank for like a quarter a day...

warning air suspension will make people gather around car even if the people think its gay to do it to your car..

Old 04-21-2007, 01:08 AM
HCF Member

Alright, it's what I figured about the price. My buddies and I went for a cruise tonight and I came to the conclusion my D15B8 (70hp) is not cutting it. So hopefully I can get a full-time job for the summer and get a B16 installed.
Any idea how much installation should cost me? I'm Canadian so specify Canadian or American money.
Here's a link to the actual engine and everything.
http://www.jdmracingmotors.com/index...mp;motor_id=21

Old 04-21-2007, 05:52 PM
Recognized HCF Member

i want to get a air strut setup eventualy.... that way i can dop it out.... or lift it up....

but personaly id go with air struts from what ive read they are alot beter than air cylinders for a daily driver... but cans are so much cheaper of course

cause the ones i looked at where like 1,200bucks for just the air struts..
and like another 1200bucks for a realy nice air setup.........

id say go realy nice thier... that way ya dont have to worry about any pressure or even fiddling with switches.... gotta love that turn on ignition feature that adjusts the air automaticaly to your PERFECT PSI for your alignment every time!!!

but ya already knw wit the right air setup.... it aint gonna be cheap!!!!
but ya definatly want to spend the money and get the quality ya want/need!

Old 04-21-2007, 09:16 PM

air struts really don't ride much better. i would say there plus's def don't equal there downfalls. Like air struts are more likely to get leaks and break. they take like 4 times the amount of air to fill each one and they don't lay as low as air rods. yea that turning the key and setting it up is nice to bad they can't get it to work good... if u went with air struts or air rods i def. don't recommend it for a daily driver because if u get kits it will not work all the time. also when it gets cold out the valves will freeze and take forever to warm up to raise the car..

Old 04-21-2007, 09:38 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well thats just what i was told by the air strut, can seller.... he sold both... just said the cans will be faster and lay lower.. but said for daily the strut would be a beter ride...

and with the winter setup ive always heard best to run nitrogen tanks to prevent moisture in the setup... and to also run alittle oil system on it. just alittle tho... BUT AGAIN.... thats just what ive heard and read others say.... i havent had the $$ to try any of them out

but i do want a air setup for my 66impala cause all the springs are already shot...... and nothing beter than laying that sucker out! LOL but again thiers the $$ situation... to many vehicles not enough cash!
and worst of all... im geting another old @ss truck for a project..LOL
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...0truck/028.jpg
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...0truck/001.jpg
hahahahaha

Old 04-22-2007, 07:48 AM

yea but even with nitrogen the valves will stick in really cold conditions because of the oil (lil) becomes thicker. someone told me u can put accumulators (i think) on air rods to make them ride a lil better but never tried it. def have to get air ride for that impala that would look sweet.

-