Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Best Rim and Tire Size

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 06:12 AM
Default Best Rim and Tire Size

Please help me as I am a newbie.

What is the best rim and tire size for a 2005 civic DX? Looking for style but want to maintain performance and gas mileage.

Thnx,

G

Old 08-03-2007, 08:10 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Best Rim and Tire Size

ORIGINAL: tranced_1973

Please help me as I am a newbie.

What is the best rim and tire size for a 2005 civic DX? Looking for style but want to maintain performance and gas mileage.

Thnx,

G
A 20x2 and a bicycle tire. Your mileage will double and it'll cutturns in fresh snow like an iceskate. Hydroplaning will be non-existent.Your speedo/odo should be pretty close to accurate, as the overall tire diameter will still be around 23.5", and the style will be unique in your town. Be sure to use Slime in the tube to help resist flats.

Seriously, just read a few of the other threads going or use the search feature.

Old 08-05-2007, 07:43 AM
Super Cereal Admin

^ el oh el.

but seriously, what exactly do you want? There's pros and cons to almost every wheel size:

15's:
Pros: usually lightweight/some 15's are as low as 11lbs each!/Ride quality is not sacrificed
Cons: lightweights are expensive/thin spokes (and several other spoke designs) look odd

16's:
Pros: usually light-ish./Good mix of looks and performance/pretty much look good with any spoke design
Cons: not quite as light as 15's./really common (personally, I consider this a con)

17's
Pros: they look really cool (imo)/some of the biggest wheels you can fit on civics with minimal rubbing issues
Cons: heavy (if an extra 3lbs per wheel actuallyconcerns you)/speedo will be 3% slow, even with correctly sized tires/some rubbing issues if the car is lowered without rolled fenders

18's
Pros: They look awesome/look great on show cars
Cons: Ride quality is sacrificed majorly/Weight/Rubbing issues, even without lowering springs

19's
Pros: Ummm... you have really big wheels?
Cons: Ride quality? What's that?/Weight/Major rubbing issues/rediculously big wheelson a street car

20's
Pros: yeah right
Cons: No tires to speak of/Weight/Rubbing issues/you're an idiot. for getting wheels this big.

Now, you'll probably notice that the list of cons gets a lot longer (and the list of pros gets shorter) as you move up in wheel size. That's because anything over 16" is basically just for show. Personally, I have 17's, and I love them! Honsetly, I dont' think gaining 12lbs over stock is a big deal, and I can promise you that unless you're racing, you won't notice the difference in acceleration. (oh, and I still manage 30mpg mixed driving with 17's.. it drops down to about 22-23mpg with spirited driving lmao)

Old 08-05-2007, 09:42 AM
HCF Member

A 20x2 and a bicycle tire. Your mileage will double and it'll cutturns in fresh snow like an iceskate. Hydroplaning will be non-existent.Your speedo/odo should be pretty close to accurate, as the overall tire diameter will still be around 23.5", and the style will be unique in your town.
Holy crap I wish we had a +rep feature on HCF... oh man, that started my day!

Old 08-05-2007, 02:13 PM
HCF Member

My comments are in bold:

ORIGINAL: reaper2022

^ el oh el.

but seriously, what exactly do you want? There's pros and cons to almost every wheel size:

15's:
Pros: usually lightweight/some 15's are as low as 11lbs each!/Ride quality is not sacrificed and may improve if you reduce unspring weight.Tire cost is very low.
Cons: lightweights are expensive/thin spokes (and several other spoke designs) look odd
Actually, you can get 11 or 12-lb 15s for just over $100 each. Many Rota 15s are 12 or 12.5 lbs and cost just over $100.

16's:
Pros: usually light-ish./Good mix of looks and performance/pretty much look good with any spoke design
Cons: not quite as light as 15's./really common (personally, I consider this a con). Tire cost can easily be 33% higher.

17's
Pros: they look really cool (imo)/some of the biggest wheels you can fit on civics with minimal rubbing issues
Cons: heavy (if an extra 3lbs per wheel actuallyconcerns you)/speedo will be 3% slow, even with correctly sized tires/some rubbing issues if the car is lowered without rolled fenders. Tire cost starts to soar compared to 15-inch tires.....
The only light (<17 lb) 17 inch wheels that I know of are forged and cost big bucks. Many aftermarket 17 inchers are 20 lbs+ and that's a hefty 6 lbs more than stock 14-inch steelies. Multiply that by 4 and you've added 24 lbs of unsprung weight with rotoational mass that is not positioned well for braking. For these reasons, I'd stay away from 17s.

18's
Pros: They look awesome/look great on show cars
Cons: Ride quality is sacrificed majorly/Weight/Rubbing issues, even without lowering springs. Tire cost!

19's
Pros: Ummm... you have really big wheels?
Cons: Ride quality? What's that?/Weight/Major rubbing issues/rediculously big wheelson a street car

20's
Pros: yeah right
Cons: No tires to speak of/Weight/Rubbing issues/you're an idiot. for getting wheels this big.

Now, you'll probably notice that the list of cons gets a lot longer (and the list of pros gets shorter) as you move up in wheel size. That's because anything over 16" is basically just for show. Personally, I have 17's, and I love them! Honsetly, I dont' think gaining 12lbs over stock is a big deal, and I can promise you that unless you're racing, you won't notice the difference in acceleration. (oh, and I still manage 30mpg mixed driving with 17's.. it drops down to about 22-23mpg with spirited driving lmao)

Old 08-05-2007, 03:31 PM
Super Cereal Admin

for the record, my 17's weigh in at 17lbs each. That's 12 lbs of added weight (Which is how much weight some poeple need to loose, so we can't bitch about that, now can we?) Oh, and did I mention that they were $89 per wheel? And wow... what a price difference in tires. You know, I should go buy 15's. Then, I'll save almost $20 per tire I buy.. and since I buy new tires so often, the wheels will pay for themselves in no time!!!

Also, you forgot to add a con (which I felt was unnecessary, but since you're so obsessed with tires, I might as well bring it up) to the 15" wheels thing: "Tire selection is more limited than 16" or 17" wheels".

Not everybody wants 15" wheels (which you seem to be so obsessed with). Honestly, ask anybody (provided they aren't members of Honda-Tech): 15's are great for racing. Most people will choose 16's over 15's any day since the benefits of having 15's aren't felt in most driving situations.

Old 08-05-2007, 05:20 PM
HCF Member

I don't know about you, but when I drive a car that cranks out only 108 HP, every pound reduction counts. Of course if I had 250 HP, I may not care that much. The other thing I know for a fact is that any aspect ratio under 45 tends to result in a very jittery and hence, kidney-punishing ride unless the suspension were designed for it. This is the other reason why I would never go with 17s or 18s on a car that was designed to use 15s - max. I guess it boils down to how important looks are. I punished myself for many years because I felt a 60s car with low-profile tires was cool to look at. Boy was I wrong. Those cars were made to run on donut tires and anyone who thought differently (with stock-type suspension) was pounded everytime the car hit a bump.

Old 08-05-2007, 06:13 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: conceptualpolymer

I don't know about you, but when I drive a car that cranks out only 108 HP, every pound reduction counts. Of course if I had 250 HP, I may not care that much. The other thing I know for a fact is that any aspect ratio under 45 tends to result in a very jittery and hence, kidney-punishing ride unless the suspension were designed for it. This is the other reason why I would never go with 17s or 18s on a car that was designed to use 15s - max. I guess it boils down to how important looks are. I punished myself for many years because I felt a 60s car with low-profile tires was cool to look at. Boy was I wrong. Those cars were made to run on donut tires and anyone who thought differently (with stock-type suspension) was pounded everytime the car hit a bump.

This is a term that few people understand!..... ME.... I like it. 12 years in the tire/wheel biz.

Old 08-05-2007, 07:18 PM
HCF Member

For those who aren't familiar with it.....

Sidewall Aspect Ratio
Typically following the three digits identifying the tire's Section Width in millimeters is a two-digit number that identifies the tire's profile or aspect ratio.
[blockquote]
P225/50R16 91S
The 50 indicates that this tire size's sidewall height (from rim to tread) is 50% of its section width. The measurement is the tire's section height, and also referred to as the tire's series, profile or aspect ratio. The higher the number, the taller the sidewall; the lower the number, the lower the sidewall. We know that this tire size's section width is 225mm and that its section height is 50% of 225mm. By converting the 225mm to inches (225 / 25.4 = 8.86") and multiplying it by 50% (.50) we confirm that this tire size results in a tire section height of 4.43". If this tire were a P225/70R16 size, our calculation would confirm that the size would result in a section height of 6.20", approximately a 1.8-inch taller sidewall.*

* www.tirerack.com

[/blockquote]

Old 08-06-2007, 04:09 PM

you are forgetting that the newer civics are running 16's factory with option of 17's so they are not going to suffer the ride quality issues because they are designed for 16 -17's. Just thought i would bring that up.

Quick Reply: Best Rim and Tire Size