Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Brake helppp

Old 09-26-2011, 09:42 AM
HCF Member
Default Brake helppp

So ... While driving my civic the other day I found out that my emergency brake doesn't work. Normally I just put it in gear but I still would like to know whats wrong. it engages a little bit but not strong enough. I'm thinking it just needs to be re-adjusted from where the previous owner put aftermarket brakes on it. How exactly would I adjust them? any feedback would be great.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:35 AM
HCF Member

I realize that this thread is a few weeks old but since there were no replies to the OP's question I have decided to valiantly respond

Jayrdee- here's how you would adjust the parking brake on your 2000 Civic:

Note: The parking brake shares the brake shoes with the hydraulic brake. If the shoes are worn and the hydraulic brake shoe adjustment is not functioning properly, they should be checked and adjusted before proceeding with the parking brake adjustment. A typical symptom of a brake system that may need adjustment is when the parking brake is released, the hydraulic brake pedal is pumped repetitively 3 times and the pedal height and/or pedal pressure increases.

Caution: Overtightening the parking brake cable may cause the brakes to drag causing excessive heat build up and brake failure.

1) Remove the screw covers, screws and parking brake trim cover.

2) Turn the adjuster as needed to attain the proper adjustment.

Note: Make sure the brakes do not drag when the parking brake lever is released.

3) Reinstall the trim cover.

4) Depress the pedal 2 notches.

5) Tighten the adjusting nut at the pedal assembly until the rear brakes just begin to drag when rotated.

6) Release the parking brake lever and check that the wheels do not drag when turned. The parking brake should engage in 3–5 notches when a force of 66 lbs. (294 Nm) is applied to the parking brake pedal.

7) Lower the vehicle.

*diagram courtesy of hondapartsnow.com; all rights reserved