Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Brake Pad Noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 10:33 PM
Default Brake Pad Noise

Hey Guys,
I've got a civic 95 sedan, Few days ago Driving I heard this noise which from the back, have checked and it appears to come from the Brake pad section on one of the tyres, I asked round and i been told maybe dirt, as the pads are fine everything else looks fine, I Have used break cleaner spray to get rid of dirt, when i sprayed on to the disk and on the pad, the noise come off but when the spray dries out the noise it comes back on??? any help or could it be something else rather the brake pad????

Old 04-30-2006, 11:08 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Brake Pad Noise

I'm assuming you have rear disc brakes. When does this noise occur? What does it sound like?

Old 04-30-2006, 11:34 PM

yeh i have rear disk Brakes!!!! Well it occurs when I drive it more loudly, when i took the tyre off to check it,when i Spin it fowards it didnt make that sound when i spin it backwards it makes that sound, But when i drive it makes both ways... but only when i already on the road like when i have a bit of speed not like on 1st or 2nd gear, the noise is like a squeezy noise, or like a piece of metal rubbing against something..... any help???

Old 04-30-2006, 11:40 PM
HCF Member

Usually the metal on metal sound is from the brake pads being worn. There is a litle piece of metal on the brake pads and when the pads get worn the metal rubs against the rotor and makes that sound. However, you did say you checked the pads already. How did you check the pads, how much material was on there. On my front pads, there was actually quite a bit of material still on the pads when the brakes started to squeak.

Old 04-30-2006, 11:48 PM

i did check them, However i havent take them off but i have take the tyre off n see they not brand brand new one they are at least 1 yr old.... u can still see metal not as thick but still plenty i guess, but would u say if its the brake pads the sound would only be when u press the break?? or would it sound even when driving?????

Old 04-30-2006, 11:52 PM
HCF Member

You want to look at how much friction material is left on the brake pad, not how much metal is on the rotor. Sometimes the sound will come only when you brake but it could also come whenever the wheels are turning. I would take off the caliper, take out the pads and check to see if anything is rubbing.

Old 05-01-2006, 12:29 AM

Sweet thanks!!! another thing i would like to ask i wanted to check the actual brake pads, however the bolts holding the actual brake pad from the caliper there are two bolts one on the top n bottom, they are both the actual head of the bolt is a bit broken most of tools i used to take it off like boltdrive, cubes, cant grab it i'm scared i will finish loosen the head of bolt and wont be able to take it off is there a special too i can used in case anything goes wrong?? or if i cant get it out????

thanks cheers

Old 05-01-2006, 03:39 PM
HCF Member

What is the year, trim, etc of the car you have? Sometimes you only need to loosen the bottom bolt and the caliper will flip up. I don't know much about taking out really, really stuck bolts. I usually use WD-40 and a breaker bar if neccissary. There are tools like bolt out but i dunno how they work.

Old 05-01-2006, 07:01 PM

my sedan civic is 94 VTi 1.6... trim?? i'm not sure,
but thank for all ur tips i'l give a go and see how go bout it.... otherwise... i think is mechanic time,.... and will let u how i go...

thanks!!!!!

Old 05-08-2006, 11:11 PM

thanks guys,

I had the mechanic checked the car...
and thanks for the advice it was denefetly the Brake pads!!!!!!
]
thannks......