Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Brakes lost all Fluid & stopped working! Please HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 01:54 PM
Default Brakes lost all Fluid & stopped working! Please HELP!

Hey everyone. This is the first time I've posted on this site and it seems to have lots of knowledgable people. I could really use some input on my problem.

The other morning after I started my car and took off for class I noticed the brake pedal slowly going furthere towards the floor at each stop. It was pretty apparent something seriously wrong had just happened and once I got to where I was going my brakes were basically useless and when I pressed down on the pedal it went straight to the floor and made a kind of gurgling/farting noise. I popped the hood and noticed all the fluid in the brake fluid resevoir was gone. Later when I went back to where the car was parked the night before (after riding the bus home) I noticed a large oil-like slick on the side of the road. Any suggestions as to what problems I should be looking for? I'm pretty sure I've ruled out it being the master cylinder or the pump/booster because the pedal builds up pressure when the car is turned off and I press the pedal repeatedly. Also, the ABS light has been on since I got the car. It's a 1995 Honda civic EX with about 133,000 miles on it. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated before I attempt to troubleshoot more! Thanks!!!!

-Mike

Old 10-18-2007, 02:52 PM
Default RE: Brakes lost all Fluid & stopped working! Please HELP!

well theres a leak somewhere obviously, where is kinda hard to say. could be a line, caliper, or a valve. just look around the calipers, follow the lines(both hard and soft), and also check out the valve on the firewall. as for the ABS light, could be a bad speed sensor or part of the brake fluid leak.

Old 10-18-2007, 04:15 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Brakes lost all Fluid & stopped working! Please HELP!

Did the brakes work OK? Did it pull to one side? If they worked and there was no pull that should rule out a caliper. If the leak was anywhere near the wheel and got on the rotor or drum, that brake wouldn't work so well (or at all). Also if any fluid got on the rotor/drum, you would probably get some smoke. No matter what it is, the leak shouldn't be hard to find. There will be fluid everywhere near it.