Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

car shakes after new slotted/drilled rotors and new pads

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 05:11 PM
HCF Member
Default car shakes after new slotted/drilled rotors and new pads

I just got my new slotted and drilled rotors along with all brand new brake pads installed today along with a tire rotation and my entire car shakes when I hit the brakes. Its not like a violent shake or anything, just kind of annoying... is this just because everything is brand new and hasnt broken in yet? or is this just what slotted/drilled rotors do?

Old 01-19-2008, 05:13 PM
Default RE: car shakes after new slotted/drilled rotors and new pads

were the wheels balanced when rotated?

Old 01-19-2008, 05:13 PM
June 2010 ROTM

Did you do the work yourself? Have you gotten an alignment recently? Also, did you break in your brakes properly?

Old 01-19-2008, 05:18 PM
HCF Member

I have a friend thats a mechanic at hall volkswagen/mazda and he did everything for me... they probably were not "broken in properly", but idk what that means, how do I do it?

Old 01-19-2008, 05:24 PM
June 2010 ROTM

Best to do in an EMPTY parking lot or EMPTY roadway...

...This is how I like to do it, but hey, everyone does it differently.
drive at slow speeds 10-15, then brake nicely to a stop
drive at slow speeds 10-15, then brake harder to a stop
drive at slow speeds 10-15, then brake hard to a stop
drive at moderate speeds 20-30, then brake nicely to a stop
drive at moderate speeds 20-30, then brake harder to a stop
drive at moderate speeds 20-30, then brake hard to a stop
drive at faster speeds 35-45, then brake nicely to a stop
drive at faster speeds 35-45, then harder nicely to a stop
NO HARD STOP, Try not to have to brake hard at high speeds for 100 miles. 100 miles may be much, but that's what most brake pad boxes read.

Old 01-19-2008, 05:25 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Given that the shaking only happens when you brake, the problem is highly likely related to the new brakes.

Old 01-19-2008, 05:28 PM

sure wheels are tq on properly? new brake pads need to be bedded after installed.

process for bedding
[ol][*]After reaching medium speed engage brake pedal to slow car without coming to a complete stop. Release pedal quickly and do not drag brakes. Repeat four or five times.[*]At higher speeds engage brake pedal to slow car without coming to a complete stop. Release pedal quickly and do not drag brakes. Repeat five times.[*]At or near race speed engage brake pedal to slow car without coming to a complete stop. Release pedal quickly and do not drag brakes. Repeat three times. Allow a few seconds between brake engagements while car is in motion.[*]Do not hold brake pedal. Park car for approximately 20 minutes or until brake rotors are completely cool to the touch.[*]If during the above steps the brake pedal becomes soft or brake fade is noticed, park the car immediately for approximately 20 minutes. Do not hold brake pedal. [/ol]
even brake pads that havent been broken in properly should not cause vibrations. i'd balance the front wheels and make sure the lugs are tq'd to spec.

Old 01-19-2008, 05:34 PM
Recognized HCF Member

did he bleed the brakes also?

sounds like it shouldnt be vibrating unless they are warped or maybe not firmly instaled....

i would definatly have the guy look at them again!

if he cannt come up with anything then swap the wheels back, BUT i dont see them being the problem since you say it vibrates when you hit the brakes....

sounds to me like the rotors are warped... or maybe he forgot to clean the rotors protective coating off and it loaded up the pads.... hard to know...

i guess just depends HOW GOOD of a brand rotors you bought..... some cheap brands i could see them being crapy brand new and shaking like that from not being balanced....
which is why id spend the extra money for a beter brand rotors.
they are just like wheels that need to be balanced but i dont know of any places that balance them.LOL

Old 01-19-2008, 05:35 PM

Forgot one other step. Make sure you repeat this process in reverse (but not as fast, of course).

Old 01-19-2008, 05:47 PM
HCF Member

maybe he forgot to clean the protective coating off the rotors.... if the pads got warped, what does that mean? will they level out eventually?

Quick Reply: car shakes after new slotted/drilled rotors and new pads