Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

click and squeek

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 06:28 AM
Default click and squeek

I am long time Honda guy(1987) almost a mechanic, but having trouble chasing down a click and squeek in the left front suspension ('03 Civic SI)
started last winter here in ohio, when power is applied in first 3 gears(clutch completely engaged) but not in reverse there is a clik( when temp. falls below about 50 deg.) at about 30 degrees the sound changes to a squeek, and then at about 15-20 degrees the sound almost dissapears. since the car must be moving, I can't use my stethescope. The sound kind of un-clicks or un-squeeks when the throttle is released. I tried rocking the car back and forth in gear using the stethescope, and thought I heard the noise from various places, at one time I was "sure" it was a motor mount, and replaced the rear, and left(over the trans) motor mounts, and the donut seal between the exhaust manifold and the first down pipe(the flex joint?)
The sound dissapeared last spring when temp rose above 60, and is now back.
Any ideas?? I have heard of an electronic remote listening devise where I can place microphones at various spots to listen to while moving, but I am sure I can"t afford to buy one, bit can I rent one??

Old 12-26-2008, 03:25 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Welcome craneman. Tough problem to solve.

Have you carefully inspected the exhaust heat shields for looseness or damage?

Have you inspected the drive axles? The CV joints might be bad.

Might the noise be coming from the drive belts or idler puller?

Old 12-26-2008, 05:09 PM

Never thought of CV joints, thats a another plac to look, but with only 70K. I never would have thought to look there, butI sure will. Accessory drive belts are on passenger side, but I will look at those too. I feel quite sure the sound is in front of the driver.
Thanks very much