Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

coil over vs. springs

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 09:46 AM
HCF Member
Default coil over vs. springs

i'm looking into dropping my ride, not slamming i don't want it scraping the ground. but lowering it so you can barely put your finger through the car and the tire space. 92 civic 4door, how does it look lowerd 1inch, 2inch, 1 1/2 i just want to tsee how it looks.

and what are better coilovers? or springs?

coilovers you can adjust springs you can't...but i don't know i trust springs more.

Old 10-03-2007, 10:07 AM
Default RE: coil over vs. springs

In short if you can afford it coilovers are better...you get to dial in the ride height you want plus the dampeners are matched to the springs rate..
BAD coilovers
APC
Dropzone
weapon-r
ricky racer
skunk2 (for nissans, pretty crappy. for hondas, good)
ractive
vaos
ANY EBAY BRAND
R-1 racing
goldline
megan racing

GOOD Coilovers!!!!
Ground Control (not actual full coilovers though)
JIC
Tein
Nismo
Motivational Suspension
B&G
HKS
Buddy Club
Truechoice
KW suspension
ST suspension
H&R
The OBX brand is still questionable!

Old 10-03-2007, 10:09 AM
Administrator

if you dont plan on adjusting your ride height, springs are just fine. althought, i recommend getting shocks/struts to go along with them.

Old 10-03-2007, 10:34 AM

if ur concerned about ride height, get coilovers. that way u can play with the height all u want untill ur happy. if u dont trust coilovers, then u dont trust strut assemblies. coilovers use springs, typically shorter. coilovers are just as safe as ur run of the mill strut assembly.

97civiccruiser, Ground Control is not some "ebay" brand, not even close. quality is premium, price is great, veryeasytunability.

Old 10-03-2007, 10:38 AM
mxs
HCF Member

READ THE STICKIES!

Links to useful suspension information

Old 10-03-2007, 11:00 AM
HCF Member

wow, thank you all for a very helpful and fast response. ; ) does the ride get any smoother? or it's a little stiff? i'm not sure, of all the mods i've done never have i done anything with suspension =( so need all the help i can get.

the list of bad and good, was awesome too, i was looking at a few of the "bad" megan was up there...i've used it before header, muffler...(which i may be putting back on with a resonator) <<<<speaking of which will it be more quiet with a resonator in between the setup i have now??? =)

Old 10-03-2007, 11:47 AM

The function of an adjustable spring kit is to adjust ride height, which is totally independent of "stiffness". What determines how stiff the suspension is the spring rate. These aftermarket kits more than likely come with significantly larger spring rates. This value along with the performance of the shock damper determine the actual ride quality. Bad or underperforming shocks will make the ride "bouncy". For examplewhen ordering the GC kit and you do not specifically order custom spring rates, for the integra they give 380f/250r lbs/ft, and civic/CRX 350f/250r lbs/ft. Compare this to an OEM rate of about 250f/150r. I would characterize the change as very stiff and stiffer than most aftermarket street kits, but can still be considered driveable with good shocks, but not to all driver's opinion. So if you do order an adjustable spring kit, you have the freedom to determine your own spring rates, choose appropriately for your application.

In comparison, Eibach Prokits give a rate of 331f/126-194r, their Sportlines are 460f/174-257r. I mention this to show you can get equivelent spring rates with regular spring kits.
Lastly, additional problems of lowering your car too low will cause a harsh ride due to bottoming out of the shock or suspension arms. Be careful of this. Bottoming out the shock destroys the internals (thats why the bumpstops are there, but dont rely on them if you are constantly hitting or "riding" them). Bottoming out the suspension arms or hitting the top of the fender starts bending stuff, which is not good.

Hope this helped!=-)

Old 10-03-2007, 01:41 PM
HCF Member

lol well then, i would say this case is closed, i was looking into an inch or inch and a half drop, lol i think i'm in the clear? and by internals, you mean the engine too right?wow thanks man, good on the info [sm=happybounce.gif]

Old 10-03-2007, 02:16 PM
March 2010 ROTM

For a drop like you want, Ive heard countless people recomend Tokico HP shocks, and Tein S-Tech springs. Its about a 1.5 inch drop.