Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

is this dent in my rim gonna affect driving?

Old 03-11-2008, 09:44 AM
HCF Member
Default is this dent in my rim gonna affect driving?

I went to a mechanic just to have a sound I heard underneath what sounded like the front of car looked at. It turned out the exhaust pipe was hitting the sway bar cuz the previous owner didn't have it welded on [:@].

Anyway, they checked everything else out and they noticed that my front rim was dented. As far as I can see, it's only on the outside. What I want to know if it's going to affect the performance of the car. They just put in the report that the rim was dented but they didn't say it was a bad thing. I've got the rims and racing tires off now with the original rims and winter tires on cuz of the weather.

I'll try to attach a pic of the dent on the rim.

Thanks for any feedback.

Old 03-11-2008, 03:28 PM
June 2010 ROTM
Default RE: is this dent in my rim gonna affect driving?

It depends on how big the dent is. It may start to develop a slow leak from there. If it does start to leak, you have three options.
1. Get a new rim (instant fix)
2. Find shop that fixes rims (weakens the bent area, messes the paint/finish of the rim)
3. A "hill billy" fix w/high temp silicone. PM me for details.

Old 03-11-2008, 03:42 PM
HCF Member

I'm surprised that holds air (if it does). I have bent my 18" rims about 3 times and it looked like that but they didn't hold air for more than a mile after I bent them. Since my rims are discontinued and I didn't want to pay for a shop to fix them I just put a rag over the dent and hit it with a hammer, it hurt the paint a little but they are mechanically fine. Put some water over where the tire meets the rim and fill it with air, if there are any bubbles it means the seal is broken and leaking air.

...This is why I switched to 16" rims, a lot less likely that I will ever bend them.

Old 03-11-2008, 04:44 PM
Recognized HCF Member

it wont hurt the performance just as long as it doesnt loose its seal. since the paint already doesnt look that great i would do the ghetto fix and just put a towel around a hammer and try to beat it back more round...

there is a chance that if you take a hard corner that it could roll the tire in alittle that area and the tire could loose all the air and blow out..

it would be worse on the front due to the extra weight.... so i would sugest keeping that rim on the rear at least...