Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Diagnosing 93 civic front-end noise (video w/ audio)

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 04:44 PM
Default Diagnosing 93 civic front-end noise (video w/ audio)

My gf's 93 Civic LX 5-speed (175,000 miles) is making a sound I immediately thought was a wheel bearing. I did a little research on the process of repairing it, slipped a jack stand under the car, and rotated the front wheel, expecting not to hear the noise because the bearing wasn't under load. Surpisingly, I did hear the noise, but now I'm not so sure it's a wheel bearing: It sounds too "regular" to be a bearing. Check out the video to hear what I hear.

My GF and I are both on tight budgets due to layoffs, so I can't throw money at this problem using the "diagnose by parts replacement" strategy, so I'd like to accuratey nail-down this problem before I start buying parts.

Question one: What do you think is causing the noise in the video?

Question two: Could this be mistaken as a wheel bearing from inside the cabin, or is it more likely that I have two problems?

Question three: Can you recommend a specific wheel bearing diagnostic procedure?

Thank you very much in advance for your help!

Chuck

(PS: The squeak you hear in the video is just my hand squeaking on the tire as I turn the wheel.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCc_DPLCRR8

Last edited by czissman; 10-17-2009 at 09:27 AM.
Old 10-17-2009, 07:10 AM
HCF Member

I concider myself a backyard mechanic as well. My first thought is axel. Typically I haven't had one sound quite like that but, I have had the general clunking while turning and when I did my B swap I had a similar noise right before the axel broke. (no LSD so I had to have it towed.)

Second if that isn't it I would go with wheel bearing. I think axel first, cause with my honda pilot there was no sound or anything like that when my bearing seized.

Again this is my $0.02, I am a backyard mechanic. LOL

STevo

Old 10-17-2009, 09:05 AM
Super Cereal Admin

I'd tend to agree with hybred on it being the axle (or at least a CV joint). That's definitely not the noise a wheel bearing makes, loaded or unloaded (bearings of any kind tend to make a growling noise), nor is it a brake noise, so that pretty much leaves the CV shaft as the only plausible action.

Oh, and if we're listing credentials, I am a mechanic (subaru, honda, what's the difference? lol)

Old 10-21-2009, 02:30 PM

Hybred and Reaper: Thanks for your thoughts.

I think the noise is in the video is a red herring. The trouble is a bad outboard right CV joint. Time for an axle.