Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Did they send me the wrong struts??

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 01:39 PM
HCF Member
Default Did they send me the wrong struts??

Hey HCF!

I just bought a set of Tokico HP struts from the ebay store "JDM-in-stock".. Said to fit 1992-2000 honda civics

I brought it to a local shop who said they would do it for 200. They took everything off..and then say the struts aren't for a civic..more for an accord. And that the arms are too wide... Now I dont know what to do[&o]. I haven't been able to reach JDM in stock and its after their 10 day return policy..

Here is the ebay link : http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...73380&rd=1

I know a few of you guys have the same struts.. are these the right ones for a 2000 honda civic EX 2dr?

[IMG]local://upfiles/27195/4B857E6CA73041E2B78C683E8E3CEE4C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-28-2008, 02:15 PM
Default RE: Did the send me the wrong struts??

Ebay stores suck. Nomatter how legit they look, they always sell products that they have taken shortcuts in making. I made the mistake of buying a cold air intake from them. The fit wasn't all that good, and it tripped my check engine light. Replaced the intake, and light goes away.

Don't buy ebay.

Old 02-28-2008, 02:28 PM
Recognized HCF Member

they should have came with 4 thick washers...

the 92-95civics have a WIDE lower arm bracket, and 96-00 civics have a thinner lower arm bracket. check the boxes for washers if not complain about them missing and get them!

thats how thick they are.

these are the washers im talking about.... you put one on each side of the lower control arm to take up the extra space...

IF your car place lost the washers then they can just use other spacers to make them fit! no big deal at all... just as long as they use the same ammount of washers/spacers on each side it will fit like it should.

Old 02-28-2008, 02:39 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Gonzo
Ebay stores suck. Nomatter how legit they look, they always sell products that they have taken shortcuts in making. I made the mistake of buying a cold air intake from them. The fit wasn't all that good, and it tripped my check engine light. Replaced the intake, and light goes away.

Don't buy ebay.
EBAY doesnt sell anything, they just have people give them money to post things for sale on there website

Old 02-28-2008, 02:50 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Gonzo

Don't buy ebay.
Do not listen to this guy. He probably bought some AEM Style CAI from some seller located in some random Asian country.

Old 02-28-2008, 04:03 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ya anything AFTERMARKET unless it is a good brand name fitment can be a issue no matter where ya buy from! i buy ALOT off ebay all the time......
the brand name stuff usualy fits great, but more no brand name stuff is really hit or miss on fitment....
if your willing to MAKE IT FIT it can be a great steal from the brand name price! but not everyone has the knowhow or means to modify it to fit.

but theirs nothing wrong with those struts either you opened up the boxes and the washers droped out in your house or car or the guys at the shop didnt see them or lost them on accident.
2 washers per rear strut is cheaper than making 2 different strut brace styles.
it can go the reverse route for stock struts, you can get a EGs stock struts to fit onto a EK with some spacers, but you cannt fit EK struts onto a EG because the stock control arm bushings are not as wide.

Old 02-28-2008, 07:40 PM
HCF Member

Hey addiction.. the part he was talking about was the "fork" end .He said it was too wide, aren't the washers for the top end by the spring?

Old 02-29-2008, 01:39 AM
Recognized HCF Member

those thick washers go between the fork its like this FORK/WASHER/lower control arm bushing/WASHER/FORK and then the bolt thru them all....
i only had a picture of them on the top shaft because thats where i put them when i removed them so i wouldnt lose them....
TRUST ME thier is 4 thick washers/spacers that should have came with the struts. if your shop cannt figure out how to instal them then i would take it else where!!!!!!!

for the top of the strut you use all the stock parts. theirs the bump stop, a large thick tapered washer, the dust boot, a thin large washer, then the rubber isolator, the factory top hat, another rubber isolator and then you use the NEW top nut to hold it all together...
make sure they put the factory dust shields on the new struts as well! they might forget to put them on the new struts...

Old 02-29-2008, 03:09 AM
mxs
HCF Member

Some manufacturers make two different sizes. Some manufacturers make one size and give you a pile of spacers. I thought Tokico did the latter.

Old 02-29-2008, 06:03 AM
HCF Member

Yeah, I took it to another guy, who insists its the wrong strut. I called the vendor in which i bought it, and they agreed to have UPS pick up the struts, and then they will send me the struts for the 96-00 civics..

I doubt they would make the fork end for the struts that wide for a civic..looks more for an accord.. BUtI have to admit..mines look just like yours addiction..

Quick Reply: Did they send me the wrong struts??