HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/suspension-brakes-tires-wheels-14/)
-   -   DIY brakes: part one [help] (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/suspension-brakes-tires-wheels-14/diy-brakes-part-one-%5Bhelp%5D-8872/)

mxs 08-14-2005 09:31 PM

RE: DIY brakes: part one

Well, the first time I went to the store, all the parts were still on my car, and I had to drive there because they don't stock very much at the Advance Auto Parts that's less than a mile from my apartment. So when I went back (with my roommate driving) I did have the old pads with me and they matched them up.

Anyway...

I finally got all the caliper mounting bolts off, and all the rotor retaining screws, and put the new stuff on. But then even though everything should have fit, and I did back the piston all the way back into the caliper, the caliper will not fit over the pads. It just doesn't clear, there's over 1/16" of overlap. So now I am going out of my freaking mind. I spent the whole weekend on this and basically accomplished nothing. Did they just sell me the wrong pads again? Maybe I'll just return everything to Advance, tell them to go f- themselves, and go to a different store.

StifflersMom 08-14-2005 09:42 PM

I get all my stuff at AAP...never had a problem (other than incorrect directions to the junkyard) And sometimes you don't seat the pads right the first time...take everything apart and slowly redo it.

mxs 08-14-2005 09:52 PM

yeah, I took the pads out 3 times... I'm going to go take everything back off now, toss it in the garage, and go to sleep. Better luck tomorrow, I hope. (And in case anyone is wondering, I do have a ride to work in the morning)

Forty04 08-15-2005 07:14 AM

ORIGINAL: mxs

yeah, I took the pads out 3 times... I'm going to go take everything back off now, toss it in the garage, and go to sleep. Better luck tomorrow, I hope. (And in case anyone is wondering, I do have a ride to work in the morning)
I'm assuming you used a C-clamp or something to depress the brakes all the way right?

mxs 08-15-2005 02:54 PM

ORIGINAL: Forty04

I'm assuming you used a C-clamp or something to depress the brakes all the way right?
Your assumption is correct :)

The surface of the prake pads seems pretty rough to me. Would it be safe to smooth them a little with some fine sandpaper? Maybe if I can get the imperfections out, they will hug the rotors better.

Forty04 08-15-2005 03:39 PM

Your assumption is correct :)

The surface of the prake pads seems pretty rough to me. Would it be safe to smooth them a little with some fine sandpaper? Maybe if I can get the imperfections out, they will hug the rotors better.
You didnt use the new pad when you did the c-clamp thing did you? I have no idea about "resurfacing" the pads, someone else will have to take that one.

jake11375 08-15-2005 04:21 PM

Yeah,m not sure about sanding the pads down. But something will definitely have to be done before you put them back on. If you can't sand them, then buy some new ones. I put some screwed up pads back on new rotors one time and it left "ruts" all around my new rotors. [:@]

mxs 08-15-2005 07:36 PM

UPDATE 8:30 PM ON MONDAY

Well I thought I was being smart, and I took my old rotors to be machined, thinking that MAYBE that would give me just enough clearance to slip the caliper back on. Damn, those things are heavy when you put them in your backpack and ride your bicycle a mile and a half to the brake shop. Guess what, they still do not fit!!!

I need to wrap this up because I am going on vacation in 2 days (I'm flying not driving) so right now I guess my choices are (1) try to sand down the new pads? or (2) put the old pads back on with the resurfaced rotors? They still have quite a bit of lining left on them so I think I could get away with it for a little while. (I googled "new rotors old pads")

I'm thinking I bit of more than I could chew with this project... *sigh*

mxs 08-15-2005 07:37 PM

You didnt use the new pad when you did the c-clamp thing did you?

I used the old pad for a little bit, and then a block of wood for the rest of the way

ngoti 8tor 08-15-2005 07:42 PM

The surface of the prake pads seems pretty rough to me. Would it be safe to smooth them a little with some fine sandpaper?
Sure, you could sand them, but then you should use something like a wire brush to rough them up again after.

But you shouldn't need to do anything to them. There's gotta be some other reason they're not going on. Do your rotors have a little edge of rust on them? If so, take a file or grinder and clean it off so the caliper will fit back on.
Are you pushing the caliper piston in far enough?

IMO, I wouldn't mess around with the pads. I would keep tryin to get the caliper on with the pads the way they are.