Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Ebay coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 05:26 PM
HCF Member
Default Ebay coilovers

Has anyone bought some coilovers (knock offs) from ebay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-98...spagenameZWDVW

Would these be safe? If you've bought some like these, or these same ones, please post your experiences with them.

Old 07-30-2007, 05:28 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Ebay coilovers

i'm sorry, but if you're looking to buy something for your civic for 40 dollars, do not touch the suspension. if you want to get coilovers, get name brand items such as skunk2, eibach, groundcontrol, etc. you do not want to cheap out on something you ride on.

Old 07-30-2007, 05:32 PM
Super Cereal Admin

They're probably safe, but I doubt they'd actually do anything (I dont' see any spring rates, so I can't tell you if they'd help at all). My advice is to not cheap out on the devices that support your 2500lb car. I'd say go with something along the lines of skunk2 or Ground Control coilovers ($300, but well worth it). Personally, I have GC's (on KYB AGX shocks) and I love them.

Honestly, ebay products are almost always hit or miss, and it's usually the latter. Just keep in mind that you usually get what you pay for.

Old 07-30-2007, 05:42 PM
HCF Member

^^^ true...to some extent. I have them now and the ride is bouncy, but thats where the problems stop. The handling is amazing because it is very stiff and the controlled drop height is a big plus. If you want your car dropped, do not mind a decrease in comfort and are going to do it yourself, get them. Its 40$ well spent for a mean looking dropand a good learning experience. However, they should only be a temporary thing if you want a top notch suspension to Auto X or do anything where you will be asked about your suspension, because "ebay coilovers" is not a good response to the question "What you runnin for suspesnion?" amoungst other tuners lol Also, if your not gonna do it yourself and are gonna pay a shop to do it, save for some high quality springs/coilovers and shocks and just have it all done at once and save having to install things 2wice. In conclusion, if you have the money, or are close to hving it.....save it up and buy an expensive yet high quality setup. If you dont have the money, pay the 40$ and 3 hours of install time and be happy with your lowered whip. Keep in mind when your bouncing around though, you get what you pay for Hope this helps

Old 07-30-2007, 05:46 PM
HCF Member

damn im too slow lol my post was replying to ej6 FYI

Old 07-30-2007, 05:52 PM

well since ur looking into autoxing, do not go with these, period. unknown spring rates and who knows about the quality of the material. when u push ur car around a turn at 40+mph and the cars weight is shifted dramatically, u want ur suspension components to hold up under the pressures. just keep researching and learning about the different kind of suspensions, spring rates, liner/progressive springs, all the different shocks and their rebound and dampening abilities, etc...

Old 07-31-2007, 07:09 AM
HCF Member

With the ebay ones, I was looking for a quick drop.

But now Im saving for these: http://www.skunk2.com/Merchant2/merc...roduct_Count=3

What would be some good shocks to go with them?

Old 07-31-2007, 08:22 AM
HCF Member

koni, tokico, kyb are all used by a lot of people on here, any of them would be a good choice. As for those skunk 2 coilover's, def hit up ebay or www.procivic.com because those ones u linked 2 are way overpriced

Old 07-31-2007, 05:14 PM
Super Cereal Admin

since you're getting coilovers, I'd recommend getting adjustable shocks. That way, you can adjust the damping to suit the ride height. I can speak from experience when I say KYB AGX shocks are great. I've also heard good things about Tokico Illumina shocks. I know Koni offers adjustable shocks, but I'm not familiar with their products off the top of my head. Just shop around and I'm sure you'll find something you like.

Anyway, the link doesn't want to work for me, so I can't see any prices, but just so you know, Ground Control coilovers are usuallycheaper than Skunk2's (and just as good, if not better quality... the springs are made by Eibach).

Old 08-01-2007, 10:18 AM
HCF Member

i got the skunk2 pro series in my ek and i absolutley LOVE them. its really low and it rides almost close to stock comfort. i wouldnt change them for anything.

Quick Reply: Ebay coilovers