Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

explain the different brake pads?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 08:10 AM
Default explain the different brake pads?

can someone explain the difference between the different kind of brake pads. ie ceramic, organic...... and then can someone recomend some for me. I'm looking for so great stopping power, but nothing for a race track. I also need to replace the shoes on my drums can anyone recommend any for that. one last thing. is there any reason for me to upgrade my rotors, in the front? if so what should i get.
2003 civic ex 2dr.

Old 02-14-2006, 08:29 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: explain the different brake pads?

For brake pads I'd suggest ceramic. They can be a bit pricey, but will go the distance and do the job for what you want. Metallic is the best stopping power as far as I know, but they probably don't last as long.

I just did a new front brake job w/ AEM ceramic pads, and Brembo ventilated rotors. Not slotted or drilled, just ventilated. Considering the stock rotor is just a solid P.O.S., this was a big improvement over the OEM rotors. Some go slotted/drillled, but unnecessary in a Civic if you ask me. Just get a quality ventilated rotor.

Old 02-14-2006, 04:08 PM
HCF Member

I agree with toppers on this one, ceramic is the way to go. I got some Hawk ceramics. You can get semi-metallic or metallic pads, they do stop faster. Both these pads have metal in them and create more friction. The problem with metallic or semi-metallic pads is that they will wear your rotors down. Organic pads make lots of brake dust and they don't stop that well either. Organics don't make too much noise, which is the reason why they are used in high end cars. Ceramics are the best in my opinion because they have a good mix of stopping power, noise, and brake dust. They are more expensive than the pads that you get at autozone, i dunno what they are made out of. I think that autozone pads have a lifetime warranty.

Old 02-15-2006, 08:15 PM
Recognized HCF Member

semi met pads, are for a lot of heaver stopping power with more NOISE and brake dust.

The best all around pad would be.....ceramic because they are quiet, last pretty long, no brake dust on your rims, and will save you money in the long run

So with your application is all comes down to do you want Noise or Not and do you want a lot of brake dust or none?

Old 02-15-2006, 11:59 PM
HCF Member

I use performance friction semi-mettalic pads, and i love them. they are not too noisy, and they grab really well, but they do dust really bad. ill probably use ceramic next time simply because Autozone doesnt do the lifetime warrenty on PF pads anymore.[:'(]