HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/suspension-brakes-tires-wheels-14/)
-   -   Front Axle Boots (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/suspension-brakes-tires-wheels-14/front-axle-boots-13077/)

2000 LoW reD Si 11-23-2005 12:23 AM

Front Axle Boots

Not too long ago, I took my car in for general maintenance. It was the first time I got my car on a lift since i bought it. Both my front axle boots are torn. Ive noticed a lot of squeaking while turning, and some bumps. Also, once in a while, while driving a winding road in my area, it smells like something is heated up, its awful. Almost like asphalt. The place I took it, (not anywhere Ive gone before) quoted me about $350 to replace the boots.

Also, they said its a normal maintenance thing. My car now has 35k miles on it. Is that normal?

And sorry if this is a re-post. I used the search feature like I usually do, and didnt find too much that was specifically wat i was looking for.

99civic_boosted 11-23-2005 04:54 AM

RE: Front Axle Boots

35K and the boots are shot - sounds a bit premature, however if you live in a dry climate I have seen them go soon then normal. Something that some people do is spray WD40 on the boot to help keep them from drying out.

$350 just to replace the boots sounds kind of high. I believe a remanufactured shaft from Autozone is like $80 and the boot is around $15 to $20.

lordyrichie 11-23-2005 05:05 AM

i just wanna participate . whatever your planning to do .just DONT NOT get remanufactured parts specially both the axles.buy new ones theyr worth the money.try to find less expansive carage or something .
good luck lol

ngoti 8tor 11-23-2005 10:10 AM

The car is 5 years old, and the boots should last longer than that, but sometimes they'll dry out and crack.
$350 seems quite high to replace em though.

D16z6 11-23-2005 08:44 PM

I paid $120 total including labor for 1 whole new axle.

sacicons 11-23-2005 10:34 PM

come up here, i can get axles pretty cheap and install them even cheaper. if they are squeking or knocking, you dont want to just replace the boot. actually, unless you catch it in a day or two, replace the whole axle, not just the boot. dust causes hell with those cv joints.

AgentofDarkness 11-24-2005 11:11 PM

I think its been posted on here before but Honda axles are suppose to be really easy to change. I watched a mechanic replace my axle and i could do it myself fairly easily.

2000 LoW reD Si 11-25-2005 01:55 AM

ORIGINAL: sacicons
dust causes hell with those cv joints.

Oo! Thats probably wat caused it this early huh? Cause I bought my car private party from a kid in Ceres. And the whole car was dusty. Thank you so much! Ill let you know as soon as I can come up, and see when is good for you. Im working quite a bit right now, but it should let up soon. Anyway, thanks again!! :)