Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Front bearings.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 07:07 AM
Default Front bearings.

For the first time, my passenger front wheel bearing is bad and needs to be changed out. (2002 1.7L civic) Ive changed bearings in the past that have been a bearing hub assembly, and on my F-150 (you simply pry or pop them out)

i understand the civics are pressed in. Without owning a press, am i pretty much screwed on doing this my self? Do i have to take it to a garage?

Thanks

Old 05-08-2010, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by wutagoalie
For the first time, my passenger front wheel bearing is bad and needs to be changed out. (2002 1.7L civic) Ive changed bearings in the past that have been a bearing hub assembly, and on my F-150 (you simply pry or pop them out)

i understand the civics are pressed in. Without owning a press, am i pretty much screwed on doing this my self? Do i have to take it to a garage?

Thanks
No one????

Old 05-09-2010, 05:53 AM

Does anyone know of another Honda Forum, where people actually respond?

Old 05-09-2010, 11:35 AM
HCF Member

You could pull the spindle, then take it to the shop to have them just press in and out, the bearings.
That would save a lot on the job.
Or check around with friends, neighbors or relatives who do, or have been known to do auto/mechanical work.
Probably someone has a press.
But pressing is the only sane way. Beating them with a hammer is nuts, and will damage the bearing.
Pulling the spindle is not easy either. This is front wheel drive, not rear, like the p/u.
But it can be done. I have done it many times on many cars. It's fun once you get to know how to do it. And what better way to learn?
Be sure they press on the outer race, not the inner.
dc

Old 05-09-2010, 04:46 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by david13
You could pull the spindle, then take it to the shop to have them just press in and out, the bearings.
That would save a lot on the job.
Or check around with friends, neighbors or relatives who do, or have been known to do auto/mechanical work.
Probably someone has a press.
But pressing is the only sane way. Beating them with a hammer is nuts, and will damage the bearing.
Pulling the spindle is not easy either. This is front wheel drive, not rear, like the p/u.
But it can be done. I have done it many times on many cars. It's fun once you get to know how to do it. And what better way to learn?
Be sure they press on the outer race, not the inner.
dc
Thanks David, that makes sense, Id rather do 3/4 of the job myself and have a shop press it properly.

Old 05-09-2010, 06:42 PM
HCF Member

Pull the brake caliper and hang it up on wire or coat hanger up high, and out of the way.
Disconnect everything, steering knuckle, and upper and lower ball joints, use a fork to split those.
I think you have to pry down on the lower arm with a bar or something.
Pull the axle nut, cotter pin first, and washers.
Then slide, or use a puller to get the spindle off the axle. No need to pull the axle out of the trans, and it's better if you don't, as then you don't loose your fluid.
Hang the axle with wire also.
Then have the bearing pressed, out & new one in.
Be sure to torque it all, and then get a front end alignment.
dc