Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Front Brake Pads (Again!!!)

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 08:03 AM
Default Front Brake Pads (Again!!!)

I have an '01 Civic EX with ABS. Only 39K miles and I'm starting to get some squealing noise from the front end. Sounds like worn pads rubbing on the rotor. Do the pads wear out that fast?
In any case, I'd like to check the pads and see how worn they are. I have a one-car garage so my space is limited. I reckon I'll pick up a couple of jack stands. Is there an obvious place on the transaxle to put these?
I've done a search and found a bunch of posts about changing the pads. I do have a question, though. Someone said to remove the bottom bolt on the caliper to remove it and someone else posted that when he did that brake fluid leaked out. I'm assuming there are top and bottom bolts.
Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm not a mechanic by any means but can do all kinds of work on my motorcycle. Cars are another story, though! [sm=smiley2.gif]

Thanks!!

Barry

Old 07-09-2006, 02:36 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Front Brake Pads (Again!!!)

You can follow the brake line to the caliper...and then DON"T undo that connection. There should be 2 17mm nuts holding the caliper in place.

Old 07-10-2006, 01:39 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Front Brake Pads (Again!!!)

You need to remove the lower bolt for the caliper then the caliper will flip up so you can look at the pads. As far as jack stands go, if you look by the front doors under the car you will see 2 pieces of metal that are part of the frame. This is where you want to place the jack stands. If you look at the front of the car behind the bumper there is a piece of metal, you can put a jack under there and lift both sides of the car at the same time.