Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

HEEELP

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 09:50 AM
HCF Member
Default HEEELP

alright so i have managed to get the 2 front coilovers on successfully yesterday, no major probelms. However for the past 4 hours we have been trying to get that one frigin bolt out of the rear shock arm to get the damn thing out and it will not come out.....weve torched it, wd40'd the living hell out of it and banged it like a hooker, but the damn thing will not mooooooooooove. worst part about it is we want to just give up but we cant cuz we already took the other splined bolt out next to the shock and now we cant get it back in. Somebody plz tell me what i can do or a trick or sumthing??!?!?!? I thought the rears were supposed to be easier?????

Old 04-21-2007, 10:43 AM
Cat Fuсker
Default RE: HEEELP

No brotha, you haven't done your frigging homework! Come one, it is not possible that you haven't read my of Forty's comments on those rear LCA bolts. Do this, take a shop rag, soak it with PD Blaster, Wrap it around there and put a plastic bag over it. Leave it like that for a few days, than try to take it off...it'll prolly break though...so go ahead to the stealer and order a few replacements just in case. If you break it you'll need to drill it out, preferably on a drill press, don't even try bolt-outs there.

Old 04-21-2007, 11:01 AM
mxs
HCF Member

this happens to everyone...

it's seized in the bushing
other option is to cut it out with a cutoff wheel, buy a new bolt, and buy a new control arm (or new bushings)
that's what I did!

Old 04-21-2007, 11:03 AM
HCF Member

no no ive read all of the comments and have been doing my homework for the past 2 months.............i let it soak in wd-40 over night........time was a factor but i still figured 3 days would be enough time to do some godamned coilovers.....i guess not........we've just quit and have to let someone fix it, there is something wrong with the whole driver's side rear positioning since we hit the sh!!t outa it, we messed up the allignment so now the bolts wont come out str8.The entire thing is fudged up and its now undrivable My shocks are shot to sh!!t too so im just gonna have to wait till i get them to have everything installed at once because this is now going to cost way more than i wanted and ebay is f**kin gay and i hate everything lol

Old 04-21-2007, 11:10 AM
Cat Fuсker

Stop being a wuss, get a set of aftermarket LCAs , new bolts and do it yourself. Take the LCA out completely with the strut attached to it, since you're doing coilovers I'm hoping you're doing shocks at the same time, so all you need is the strut mount cap to be taken off. You would need a new alignment anyway. Someone else taking this bolt out will absolutely mess up either the whole control arm or just the bushings.

Old 04-21-2007, 11:21 AM
HCF Member

lol im not bein a wuss, im being frustrated.........i wasnt putting shocks on at the same time because i thought this was going to go smoothly and i dont mind doing it 2wice, 2 weekend projects are better than one...........the work is not hard and the processs is not hard, the only things thats hard is the bolts which i have spent the last 4 hours today and 2 hours last night tryin to get out. Now i got one of the damn things out and i cant get one back in, so i cant drive the car and i got work in 2 hours. Id cut the bolts and get new ones but thats not gonna solve anything.......ill just have some new bolts that dont fit in and some old cut ones on the ground that dont fit either, that is implying that i could get the cut bolts out easier in the first place which is mostl likely not true

Old 04-21-2007, 12:34 PM
Cat Fuсker

as a warning to anyone about to undertake this: a set of aftermarket LCAs costs less than having a mech replace all 6 bushings, and doing shocks and springs at the same time is also quite a good idea. Those expensive $10/ea. bolts you have to get in advance as they're always out of stock on them.

Old 04-21-2007, 12:34 PM
mxs
HCF Member

if you can't get the bolt back in, jack up the control arm to hold it in position while you put the bolt through

Old 04-21-2007, 10:42 PM
HCF Member

lol we had that thing on 3 jacks changin the height of each one to try to get it to line up right....no luck. The truth is that in my situation (i.e rust like no other) and no air tools, this is a very hard bolt to get out. However with a lift and a frigin air wrench, it woulda taken 5 frigin minutes. The worst part about it is we knocked the front ones out in about 2 hours, thinking (heearing) that they were the hardest part, but two 4 inch bolts managed to claim that title and cause failure. after realizing how bad my shocks are with the front ones already done, im gonna need to do them anyways so im just gonna have the shop down the street finish wat i started the right way and be hassle free

Old 04-22-2007, 12:07 AM
HCF Member

man i remember that install...it was a PITA. I had four siezed bolts so don't complain. I had to sawzaw four of the mothers out, and the one in the trailing arm I had to use vice grips to screw the remaining part out.

Quick Reply: HEEELP