Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

HELP PLEASE, Lower Ball Joint Removal

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 06:57 PM
Default HELP PLEASE, Lower Ball Joint Removal

Alright. I have a 97 civic. I was replacing the cv axels and noticed my lower ball joints were shot so i decided to go to autozone and buy 2 new ball joints. I also rented the ball joint removal tool that looks like a big c clamp. All the adaptors to take off the ball joint do not fit. I looked online and looks like i need this http://www.drivewerks.com/catalog/sh...AT500_pg48.htm

Is there anyother way to get these things out? I cut off the boot...tried bangin it out with a sledge....and i dont want to take off the other 2 ball joints bc they are so old that they will prob break and i will have to purchase more. So im in a pickle, can someone please help me out. Im from the land of domestics where you dont need adaptors, and i dont want to spend $90 for a part i will only use ONCE. this sucks. PLEASE HELP ME OUT GUYS.

Old 08-05-2006, 07:11 PM
Default RE: HELP PLEASE, Lower Ball Joint Removal

come on fellas, need some help, i know someone has ran into this problem b4. I have searched ALL DAY LONG!!!

Old 08-05-2006, 10:12 PM

bump to me....

Old 08-06-2006, 09:57 AM

YES, still no reply

Old 08-06-2006, 11:51 PM

this is the worst forum for civics by far. Just so everyone knows. Its just a bunch of people that want to drop there car and put on some wheels asking the same question that has been answered OVER AND OVER. YES YOU CAN PUT TIEN S SPRING ON UR CIVIC AND NOT CHANGE ANYTHING. Man, does anyone on here even know how to change there own oil?

Old 08-07-2006, 01:35 PM
HCF Member

See this tool, http://www.drivewerks.com/catalog/sh...AT500_pg39.htm
This is similar to what I used to replace the ball joint boots and tie rod boots. I have a 94 Civic LX. I have no idea what that thing you posted is used for.

1. Remove the cotter pin from the ball joint.
2. Remove the nut from the ball joint.
3. Unscrew the bolt counter-clockwise on the tool so that you can slide the end of the tool onto the control arm. The bolt is used to push the ball joint end through the hole in the control arm.
4. After you get the tool on, tighten the bolt on the tool. As the bolt goes in clockwise into the tool, it starts to press down on top of the ball joint. Eventually, it will pop out hard.

It takes some strength to get it back on to put the nut back on.

Here's an image of a different ball joint removal tool. The principle is the same, the arms of the tool are separating the ball joint from the lower control arm.

Old 08-07-2006, 05:36 PM

thanks for someone helping out. I already got it out with a pipe and a sledge. I took off the whole assembly ( 3 ball joints total ) flipped it over, and put my pipe over it and banged the hell out of it.

Old 08-09-2006, 09:11 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: anthony_delprete84

thanks for someone helping out. I already got it out with a pipe and a sledge. I took off the whole assembly ( 3 ball joints total ) flipped it over, and put my pipe over it and banged the hell out of it.
Can I suggest registering at more than one Honda forum. Sometimes, people can't help out in one forum but can in another. That's what I do.