Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

How hard to drop two inches?

Old 05-08-2010, 04:59 PM
Default How hard to drop two inches?

Hi!
I have a 2007 Civic DX and love it. I would really like to drop it an inch or two though to improve handling and make it a little more sporty on the curves.
How hard is it to do this and also what else can I do to improve cornering and all?
Thanks!

Old 05-08-2010, 06:43 PM
HCF Member

Suspension is fairly easy to deal with it as long as you know what your doing. There are two options, springs and struts, or coilover strut combo. Both will improve handling, but coilovers would be the best option.

Old 05-08-2010, 07:39 PM
HCF Member

^ Full coilovers too... and lowering a car drastically increases handling. Before I lowered my ek, hitting a turn there was a ton of body roll, didn't really feel "safe" hitting turns too fast. I put on Ground Controls over KYB AGX shocks, I have my car lowered like 2.5", maybe a lil more, and the shocks on the stiffest setting. Cornering is great, I hit 90 degree right turns going 30 and it feels amazing, but my suspension isn't fully done yet. I still need a rear subframe brace and bigger sway bars all around.

Suspension is easy, it is just a bunch of bolts pretty much. If you have an impact and sockets and basic knowledge you can do it. Only thing you won't be able to do yourself is an alignment.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:27 PM
HCF Member

I have ground controls on koni sports right now. the coils maxed to the bottom and when the roads are flat to take corners fun it handles like a dream, i also have a few other things suspension wise. But before i got the ground controls i had sport springs on the konis as well and it was a LARGE improvment from stock. so You can make it handle better with just a few things, but its also a money thing, suspension is one of the LAST things to cheap out on. trusted name brands only, i know of too many people on here, and around my town who cheaped out for ebay brands and what not and turned out TERRIBLE.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by croninc
coilovers would be the best option.
Why is that?

I'd rather have springs...

Old 05-28-2010, 04:10 AM
Super Cereal Admin

More adjustability, the option of custom spring rates (GC). On a street car it really doesn't make much of a difference unless you live in an area that gets snow and need to change the ride height several times a year, though.

Originally Posted by Scott53092
and lowering a car drastically increases handling.Only thing you won't be able to do yourself is an alignment.
There is such thing as lowering a car too much (which is detrimental to handling); it depends on your suspension geometry. Lowering it too much messes with the geometry. And technically, you can do an alignment yourself without an alignment rack, but it requires a lot of measuring and isn't exactly easy.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by reaper2022
More adjustability, the option of custom spring rates (GC).
I realize this, but my point is that it's not necessarily the "best" option, because they're really not better than springs, you just have the height adjustability and custom spring rates (which you would only need if you can't find springs that suit your needs in that area). If you don't need either of that, then springs would be the way to go because they are less expensive.