HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/suspension-brakes-tires-wheels-14/)
-   -   LCA Bolt Broke ~ 99 Civic EX (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/suspension-brakes-tires-wheels-14/lca-bolt-broke-%7E-99-civic-ex-90517/)

Spoolin.Em 09-11-2011 11:49 AM

LCA Bolt Broke ~ 99 Civic EX

Well was about to install my coilovers on my 99 Civic EX when I ran into a little problem which I heard is very common among Civic owners.

I had gotten the 2 front shock assemblies out along with the right rear shock assembly. While I was working on the last one (left rear), I was using a breaker bar to loosen the far left bolt on the lower control arm and surely enough, it broke alright... I ended up getting the assembly out but the lower control arm still has a broken bolt in it.

http://i52.tinypic.com/nb3leq.png
Above shows the bolt that I broke on my own car.

My question is: what is the bolt exactly called (name or product number)? I don't want to walk in to my local Honda dealer and look like a ricer fan boy when I'm trying to explain what I need.

cvcrcr99 09-11-2011 12:13 PM

Lower control arm bolt. All three are the same on EKs

Spoolin.Em 09-11-2011 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by cvcrcr99 (Post 764672)
Lower control arm bolt. All three are the same on EKs

Any Ideas on how I can get the old bolt out?

reaper2022 09-11-2011 01:52 PM

Can you get a picture of what's left of the bolt? It'll make it a lot easier for us to tell you how to get it out.

Spoolin.Em 09-11-2011 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by reaper2022 (Post 764680)
Can you get a picture of what's left of the bolt? It'll make it a lot easier for us to tell you how to get it out.

Car is on the hoist in my uncles shop so can't get a picture. It seemed as if the bolt broke right at the threads. The head will be easy to get out but the threaded part is still stuck in the welded nut so I don't think it's going to be easy.

cvcrcr99 09-11-2011 03:47 PM

Send us a pic. You will probably have to heat up the bushing (to like a glowing orange) and then turn the bolt out from the other side (not the head assuming that broke off). You will be able to make it turn a few times before having to heat it up again. It is a painfully long process, but must be done. Please do not attempt to drive the vehicle without fixing that first. I had 4 bolts snap on me when I installed my coilovers on my 99.

Generously apply anti-seize on the new bolts when reinstalling. You will probably have to replace the bushing or the entire control arm, too.

Spoolin.Em 09-12-2011 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by cvcrcr99 (Post 764686)
Send us a pic. You will probably have to heat up the bushing (to like a glowing orange) and then turn the bolt out from the other side (not the head assuming that broke off). You will be able to make it turn a few times before having to heat it up again. It is a painfully long process, but must be done. Please do not attempt to drive the vehicle without fixing that first. I had 4 bolts snap on me when I installed my coilovers on my 99.

Generously apply anti-seize on the new bolts when reinstalling. You will probably have to replace the bushing or the entire control arm, too.

Thanks man, I'll heat the bushing with a torch then. Just ordered a new LCA bolt and a new bushing. If I need to get new control arms atleast it's a good excuse to invest in a new set of Skunk2 LCAs XD

Shandles 09-12-2011 04:10 PM

ew, don't get skunk2 lca's. the bushings will be torn in a year. Or at least the old design was crap, I think they have a new one.

I'd go with Function7's if I were you, those are supposedly the best.

Spoolin.Em 09-12-2011 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Shandles (Post 764734)
ew, don't get skunk2 lca's. the bushings will be torn in a year. Or at least the old design was crap, I think they have a new one.

I'll see what my wallet says XD trying to put money towards my swap at the moment.

cvcrcr99 09-13-2011 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by Shandles (Post 764734)

Skunk2 changed their design. They have no problems. I have been running the updated version for about a year with no problems at all.

OP, watch out for junk companies like Blox, blackworks, and anything no-named.