Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Let's all chime in. =)

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 04:49 AM
Default Let's all chime in. =)

I was driving my 97' LX Sedan down IH-10.. on an on ramp actually.. behind a ghetto dude "ridin' slow homie" in an 88 bonneville annnd.. he swerved really fast.. and I hit a peice of concrete.. a rather large peice of concrete.. cracking my 14' rim through a regular *** tire.. =/ Therefore my tailgating proved to be unfortunate.

However.. in my misfortune, I decided it was time to buy rims. I've had my car for 3 years.. I'm done with the rice-it-up fast and the furious appeal.. lame.. I mean.. I respect the **** out of it.. but.. ya.. If I wanna go fast.. I'll just buy an M3.. ya know?
Sooo.. I bought some 18's.. Black 5 spoke with Chrome lip.. 18X7.5 +42mm offset with 215/35/18 Nangkang NSII (**** it.. they're good for the price: all 4 for 250$).. opinions are like *******'s guys.. so my question is this:

With said situation (being the 18's), what's the best possible suspensions set-up to counter the detriment of the 18's as far as ride is concerned? Again.. keep in mind it's a sedan.. so.. I'm going more for a touring/cruising set-up over the track time/0-60 set-up..
I wanna lower it a tad... because of the 18's.. I dont wanna look like a dodge ram.. ya know? I was thinkin 1.5'?
I want to acheive the best ride/handling possible with the larger wheels..
ALSO, brakes.. how difficult is the 4-wheel disc brake conversion from the Si? Is that the best idea with such a dramatic plus size?
Coilovers? Camber Kits? Shocks? Struts? Sway Bars? Strut Bars? Snickers Bars?
Combo of some or all of the above?
2 cents anyone? 2 pennies.. that's all I'm askin.

Old 09-19-2006, 06:55 AM
Default RE: Let's all chime in. =)

it will never ride that smooth with 18's, and it will ride stiffer when you lower it.

but look for tien springs, a lot of people have good luck with them and ride pretty smooth.

Old 09-19-2006, 02:02 PM

enough snickers bars will lower ur car and make the suspension feel alot softer haha

Old 09-19-2006, 03:03 PM
HCF Member

keep it stock ride height with 18's, you never know with different offsets, just get some tie bars or strut bars to tighten things up.

Old 09-19-2006, 03:36 PM
HCF Member

18's are just big and you cant use as big of a tire with them. theres really nothing you can do about it.

Old 09-20-2006, 03:20 AM

understandable.. I'm aware that the 18's are detrimental.. any suggestions on safeguarding my suspension and tightening it up a touch?
I drove a 93' S-10 SLAMMED 6-4 drop on 17's for about 2 years. And the ride was ****in retarded.. But I got used to it..
I'm just worried about the quality of my suspension and trying to counter the ride of the 18's a little.. Although, I'm aware not much..
Im thinkin about upgrading my shocks for the hell of it.. just so I don't have to worry about it in the future..
So rear and front strut bars? I think my car has a sway bar stock? annd.. some shocks and coilovers shold do the trick you think? I mean.. that seems pretty obvious.. any tech-head suggestions?

Old 09-20-2006, 11:36 AM
HCF Member

you've got the right idea, just don't lower it too much with the coils

Old 09-24-2006, 04:39 AM

by the way..

Rims are on. Black 18' 5 spoke with Chrome Lip.. stock height on a black 6g sedan.. with 5% tint all the way around..
with black halo/projectors and black housing tails.

It looks nice... I'm gunna lower it a tad... But just barely..
Also, note: Stock height with the 18's is an almost unnoticeable difference in ride quality..
Only on dramatic bumps do you even notice a change.. even then.. not in the overall ride..

thanks for the advice guys. or well.. attempt thereof. =)

Old 09-25-2006, 09:55 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

ORIGINAL: azwethinkweiz

by the way..

Rims are on. Black 18' 5 spoke with Chrome Lip.. stock height on a black 6g sedan.. with 5% tint all the way around..
with black halo/projectors and black housing tails.

It looks nice... I'm gunna lower it a tad... But just barely..
Also, note: Stock height with the 18's is an almost unnoticeable difference in ride quality..
Only on dramatic bumps do you even notice a change.. even then.. not in the overall ride..

thanks for the advice guys. or well.. attempt thereof. =)
I have a VERY hard time believeing that. What are the specs on the tires you used?

Old 09-25-2006, 10:48 AM
HCF Member

^^ I agree. If you can barely notice the difference you must have had some very bad tires on your 14s. The difference between 14s and 18s would be like night and day. I'm sure they look good, but your whole suspension will suffer unless your city roads are like an F1 racing circuit. Highway crusing shouldn't be bad though. Got any pics, sounds like a nice ride.

Quick Reply: Let's all chime in. =)