HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/suspension-brakes-tires-wheels-14/)
-   -   looking at 96-00 Skunk 2 lowering springs (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/suspension-brakes-tires-wheels-14/looking-96-00-skunk-2-lowering-springs-75208/)

chasemclemore 05-01-2009 11:48 AM

looking at 96-00 Skunk 2 lowering springs

2.25 to 2.50 drop. My question is... If I currently have 17inch rims with 205/40/17 tires on them will they rub if I install this kit. Im almost willing to say that they will... I would probably need to find some 14-15's right?... I want to make sure that this mod looks streamline:)

ej6buddy 05-01-2009 12:25 PM

Depending on the offset of your current wheels and your camber adjustment (if you have one), it shouldn't. It will rub on aggressively sharp turns and large bumps. If you leave the camber alone and align the car using an extreme toe in, then you should be fine, just be sure to rotate your tires at all times. I had the exact same setup on my ej6 with 205/40/r17's and a +40mm offset. Another consideration is if your going to use the factory dampers. I used factory dampers, but I didn't keep the setup for long anyway, so it didn't matter in my case.

plethoric33 05-01-2009 12:29 PM

Depends on the offset of the rim. What offset are you running. I know people have ran 205/40/17 tires on a +42 offset rim without rubbing, but most likely you will be rubbing. I had 17s on my car when I bought it with a +40 offset and rubbed on most turns. Id say get some 16s and run 205/40/16 tires and you'll be fine. I am dropped at least 2 in the front and 2.25 rear on 16s just fine. Or you could just pick a different spring...I personally hate the Skunk2 feel, way too stiff for daily driving in my opinion.

chasemclemore 05-01-2009 01:01 PM

Unfortunately dont know the offset, dont know anything about the rims...they came on the car. I just bought all new tires for the car so I would hate to have to sell them and they are curbed up so bad no one will want to buy them... So I am stuck... I would really like to get a hold of some blades before I drop it. Thanks for the heads up on the skunk2 springs... what would you recommend without breaking the bank? Also will do front and rear camber kit the same time as the drop. I want it to be done right.

ej6buddy 05-01-2009 01:22 PM

There's nothing wrong with the skunk2 setup, i drove on it for a long time. When your dropping a vehicle, you're going to lose ride quality, regardless. If you want everything done right, then get the blades, get a spring/damper package from a reputable company that is matched. Then get good quality front and rear camber kits from reputable companies such as skunk2, buddy club, or even blox. Then get everything aligned. That is done right. Think of a lowering spring setup as a temporary setup.

chasemclemore 05-01-2009 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by ej6buddy (Post 639798)
There's nothing wrong with the skunk2 setup, i drove on it for a long time. When your dropping a vehicle, you're going to lose ride quality, regardless. If you want everything done right, then get the blades, get a spring/damper package from a reputable company that is matched. Then get good quality front and rear camber kits from reputable companies such as skunk2, buddy club, or even blox. Then get everything aligned. That is done right. Think of a lowering spring setup as a temporary setup.

Sounds good to me, parts list as follows:

Blades #1
skunk2 front/rear camber kit
skunk2 sport shocks
skunk2 lowering springs
4 wheel alignment once everything is done..

Am I missing anything? Also before I do anything how bad is this going to make my car ride even done right?

ej6buddy 05-01-2009 01:34 PM

tires

plethoric33 05-01-2009 03:53 PM

Youll lose ride quality in all cases, but I felt the skunk2s were much more harsh feeling than the Neuspeeds on my car now or the H and R springs my friend has. The only spring I would put on a car with 17s (which suck for ride quality already) is Tein S-Techs to help keep it remotely comfortable. Its a smaller drop and also wont rub as bad if any.

edit: plus you wont need a camber kit with the Tein S-Techs.