Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

New brakes aren't functioning correctly.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 09:35 PM
Default New brakes aren't functioning correctly.

My Honda model info is in my sig, just so you know. The brakes are aftermarket.

In regards to my issue, I just installed new front disk brakes. The installation went smoothly up to the part where the caliper piston had to be pushed in to make space for the new brake width. Because I didn't have effective tools, I let go of some brake juice by loosening the valve nut, but not removing it of course. The piston compressed easily and I managed to get the new brakes in on both sides. The rubber covers were placed on top of nut, FYI. Great, so everything went fine for 2-3 days after which the brakes started to squeek. It's not a healthy squeek, I should point out. It is NOT fun driving my car!

Issues:
-Brakes squeek unhealthily.
-Possible inconsistency when applying brake pressure: the brakes fluctuates slightly in gripping power. Again, this could be in my mind because I know I have brake issues, but it could be real.
-It's possible that some of the brake fluid got on the rotor, in particular the left brake. But would this make a difference?
-The brakes have not been bled. I was told that if you loosen the brake fluid valve nut and let fluid out, it's essential that you bleed the brakes.

Unfortunately I don't have a chilton manual for this car as of now, so I don't know the run-down on the process. I'm reluctant to work on the brakes until I get some feedback here.

Hope you can help,
Cleft Asunder

Old 06-02-2005, 11:02 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: New brakes aren't functioning correctly.

yes you should lbleed the brakes. did you replace the rotors at all? most of the time if the rotors werent replaced or turned you can run across brake squeel due to the pads wearing into the grooves in the rotor. also cheap pads with no anti squeel can cause it also.

Old 06-02-2005, 11:36 PM

I took off the Rotors with an impact screwdriver and took them to Kragen. They are already too small to resurface. They look alright to me, but they do have groove's.

I'm going to take a look at them tonight, maybe I can identify what's up.

Old 06-02-2005, 11:41 PM
HCF Member

Just get new rotors and pads. When i do my brakes i just take the cover off of the brake fluid res. Then compress the brake piston and remove the pads and rotor and replace. I havent bled the brakes and they work perfect. It is possible uve actually killed ur rotors THAT bad (It makes a Horrible noise and crazy vibration when applyin pressure).........If i may add.........this seems like a PERFECT time to give up 16 bucks for that Haynes manual. Everyone needs one of those.